From: Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com>
To: "Gustav Wikström" <gustav@whil.se>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [Idea] Org Collections
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 14:31:55 +0100	[thread overview]

Gustav Wikström writes:

> Hi!

Have you had a look at org-brain. I don't use is much, but there are
some overlapping functionnality to merge, maybe.

>> How will be organized a collection, still from the FS point of view?
>
> Maybe the comments above answer that as well?
>
>> As some are delving into the abyss of sementic, I propose aspects
>> instead of collections or contexts. Ultimately we are trying to manage
>> various aspects of our life, by splitting those aspects into files or
>> diretories and what not. So, if it is the intent of your idea, the term
>> aspect seems more appropriate than collection or context IMHO.
>
> Many words could work. Context, Project, Group, Aspect, Areas, etc. I first thought of the name "project" to match the Projectile package. But I think collection is a better concept here. It lets the user think not of how it should be used but rather of what it consists. Which is a collection of files (and settings). That collection can ofc. be used for project, as aspects, or be seen as contexts or areas. So in my mind collection is the broader, more applicable term. It has less subjective meaning attached to how this functionality could be used. It IS a collection but can be USED as aspects, for projects, etc. What do you say? 😊

I think I can live with it ;)

>> Did you think about the specific UI of aspects management?
>> Proposal of UI I particularly like:
>> - Mu4E
>> - forge/magit
>
> Not really.. Except I agree with you on magit. The other I haven't used.

Mu4E is a major mode for managing e-mails using the mu index. it
provides a main view with bookmarks and entries to perform searches and
composing message, among othe thing, but what I find more useful are the
header view, which displays a multi-columns list of e-mails with
associated meta-data and a message view allowing to view the content of
an e-mail. The header view allows for bulk actions while the message
view act, obiously, on the current message and permit replying and
transfering the current e-mail.

--
Luke, use the FOSS

Sent from Emacs