TL;DR: Plan to add features to HTML export, do I add them in the built-in HTML exporter (as upstream contribution) ? Or as a downloadable derived backend ? Which on do you prefer ? Hello, I plan to use Org-publish to create a website from Org-mode files. And I would have some features that are not provided by the built-in HTML exporter. To add theses features, my first plan was to customize an org-publish project. Using a custom preamble function, a custom completion function and some new export options added to "org-export-options-alist". It's still a work in progress, but the more feature I add, the more I think I need to add them in an export backend. So, my second plan is to create an export backend, derived from the built-in HTML exporter. But maybe you would prefer that I add these new features as a contribution to the built-in HTML exporter ? Here is what I plan to add, on each generated webpage, compared to what the built-in HTML exporter already provide: - A side panel containing: - A site web name and/or logo - A search field for an local search engine - A main navigation menu, built from a dedicated org-mode file - A more "modern" look - More special blocks available like: - A question/answer bloc, where the answer is hidden - Important, warning and tip blocks - A generic hide-show bloc - Tab to select which content to see - Bibliography on a dedicated webpage when using org-publish - A button to download the Org-mode file source of a webpage - Possibility to set the home page, when there is no index.org As say above, I started it as a custom org-publish project. You can found my work in progress here: https://framagit.org/SebGen/org-documentation-template For now, the search engine use the software Pagefind: https://pagefind.app And the menu is made from an org-mode file where first level heading become menu item and links are simple org-mode links. Best regards ------- Gendre Sébastien