* word wrap preferences in org-mode buffers
@ 2010-07-16 19:37 Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-07-16 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

As I use org-mode more and more for actually writing things, I'm
wondering what your favorite Emacs word/line-wrapping mode is.

Basically, I see two main ways of doing this, auto-fill-mode and
visual-line-mode.  Any others that you all use?  If you use
auto-fill-mode or visual-line-mode, are there any obvious drawbacks,
particularly regarding org-tables and source code blocks.

I'm sure I'll run into the main issues eventually, but thought I'd ask
up front.

Thanks,
Erik

* Re: word wrap preferences in org-mode buffers
@ 2010-07-16 20:18 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-07-16 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:37:54 -0500, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As I use org-mode more and more for actually writing things, I'm
> wondering what your favorite Emacs word/line-wrapping mode is.
>
> Basically, I see two main ways of doing this, auto-fill-mode and
> visual-line-mode.  Any others that you all use?  If you use
> auto-fill-mode or visual-line-mode, are there any obvious drawbacks,
> particularly regarding org-tables and source code blocks.
>
> I'm sure I'll run into the main issues eventually, but thought I'd ask
> up front.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

I use auto-fill-mode most of the time.  However, if I'm mixing code
and text, I tend to turn it off.  In that case, it's an easy matter of
hitting M-q (fill-paragraph) every now and again to re-format the
current paragraph.  I often do this without even realising... (just
did it now, in fact :-).

Visual line mode is okay but, as a very long time emacs user, I find
it conflicts with my believes as to what lines are etc.

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: word wrap preferences in org-mode buffers
@ 2010-07-16 20:55 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-07-16 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:
> Hello,
>
> As I use org-mode more and more for actually writing things, I'm wondering what
> your favorite Emacs word/line-wrapping mode is.
>
> Basically, I see two main ways of doing this, auto-fill-mode and
> visual-line-mode.  Any others that you all use?  If you use auto-fill-mode or
> visual-line-mode, are there any obvious drawbacks, particularly regarding
> org-tables and source code blocks.

I have this here bound to `SUPER-t':

    (defun sr-toggle-truncate-lines ()
      "Lange Zeilen abschneiden, oder eben nicht."
      (interactive)
      (setq truncate-lines (if truncate-lines nil t)))

I use it to toggle truncate-lines in the rare cases I have to edit a
longish piece of text, that must be on one line.

auto-fill-mode is wonderfull.  I just type ahead and it breaks the lines
as desired.  I use in all buffers.

visual-line-mode and longlines-mode are not an option.
(I confess, that I even refuse to read such unformatted e-mails every
now and then.  Those mails are unreadable on a large screen with
longlines-mode turned off =P )

  Sebastian

* Re: word wrap preferences in org-mode buffers
@ 2010-07-17 11:01   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-07-17 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:55:40 +0200, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:

> Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > As I use org-mode more and more for actually writing things, I'm wondering what
> > your favorite Emacs word/line-wrapping mode is.
> >
> > Basically, I see two main ways of doing this, auto-fill-mode and
> > visual-line-mode.  Any others that you all use?  If you use auto-fill-mode or
> > visual-line-mode, are there any obvious drawbacks, particularly regarding
> > org-tables and source code blocks.
>

> I have this here bound to `SUPER-t':
>
>     (defun sr-toggle-truncate-lines ()
>       "Lange Zeilen abschneiden, oder eben nicht."
>       (interactive)
>       (setq truncate-lines (if truncate-lines nil t)))
>
> I use it to toggle truncate-lines in the rare cases I have to edit a
> longish piece of text, that must be on one line.

Sebastian,

Emacs, at least since v22 or maybe longer, has a built-in function
"toggle-truncate-lines".

@ 2010-07-17 11:57     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-07-17 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> Sebastian,
>
> Emacs, at least since v22 or maybe longer, has a built-in function
> "toggle-truncate-lines".

...which is bound to what key?

emacs24 has it, too. I'll switch to use that one...

Thanks Eric

  Sebastian

* Re: word wrap preferences in org-mode buffers
@ 2010-07-17 12:23       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-07-17 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:57:41 +0200, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> > Sebastian,
> >
> > Emacs, at least since v22 or maybe longer, has a built-in function
> > "toggle-truncate-lines".
>
> ...which is bound to what key?

Not bound anywhere by default as far as I can tell.  I bind it to "\C-c t":

(global-set-key "\C-ct" 'toggle-truncate-lines)

@ 2010-07-19  8:43   ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2010-07-19  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:37:54 -0500, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> As I use org-mode more and more for actually writing things, I'm
>> wondering what your favorite Emacs word/line-wrapping mode is.
>>
>> Basically, I see two main ways of doing this, auto-fill-mode and
>> visual-line-mode.  Any others that you all use?  If you use
>> auto-fill-mode or visual-line-mode, are there any obvious drawbacks,
>> particularly regarding org-tables and source code blocks.
>>
>> I'm sure I'll run into the main issues eventually, but thought I'd ask
>> up front.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Erik

> I use auto-fill-mode most of the time.  However, if I'm mixing code
> and text, I tend to turn it off.  In that case, it's an easy matter of
> hitting M-q (fill-paragraph) every now and again to re-format the
> current paragraph.  I often do this without even realising... (just
> did it now, in fact :-).

I always faced this problem and I didn't know that there is this key
binding. Thank you!

Thanks and Regards
Noorul