* use %A to prompt for plain text when there is not file
@ 2017-09-19  7:44 Amos Bird
From: Amos Bird @ 2017-09-19  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm currently using this template,
#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
* %A [/]

  - [ ] %?
#+END_EXAMPLE

However when capturing in a non-file buffer, %A generates nothing. I'd like to have a plain text inserted instead. What can I do?

regards,

--
Amos Bird
amosbird@gmail.com

* Re: use %A to prompt for plain text when there is not file
@ 2017-09-20 10:27 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-20 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Amos Bird <amosbird@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm currently using this template,
> #+BEGINEXAMPLE
>
> 1 %A [/]
>
> * [ ] %?
>
> #+ENDEXAMPLE
>
> However when capturing in a non-file buffer, %A generates nothing. I'd like to have a plain text inserted instead. What can I do?

What do you mean by "a plain text inserted"? Could you give an example?

Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: use %A to prompt for plain text when there is not file
@ 2017-09-20 11:08   ` Amos Bird
From: Amos Bird @ 2017-09-20 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Nicolas,

when in a file backed buffer, doing org capture with %A generates
#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
[[some link][some description]]
#+END_EXAMPLE
and if the buffer has no file associated with it, I'd like %A to generate
#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
some description
#+END_EXAMPLE

the above "some description" is inputed via prompting user.

regards,

--

@ 2017-09-20 11:13     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-20 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Amos Bird <amosbird@gmail.com> writes:

> when in a file backed buffer, doing org capture with %A generates
>

> [[some link][some description]]
>
> and if the buffer has no file associated with it, I'd like %A to generate
>

> some description
>
> the above "some description" is inputed via prompting user.

It sounds wrong to link to a temporary buffer, i.e., to volatile
contents. It may be more appropriate to use

     %^{prompt}

in your template instead of

     %A

when capturing from there.

WDYT?

* Re: use %A to prompt for plain text when there is not file
@ 2017-09-20 11:17       ` Amos Bird
From: Amos Bird @ 2017-09-20 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Um, but I'd like to use this template for both cases. When inside a temporary, don't generate a
link, but plain text instead, while in a file buffer, generate the link as usual.

regards,

--
Amos Bird
amosbird@gmail.com