* LaTeX brocs: Babel vs export
@ 2024-05-26 22:54 Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-05-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

tl;dr: Which is the best option between LaTeX source bloc and LaTeX
       export bloc to embed some LaTeX code in my Org-mode document ?

I'm a last year student and very soon I will have to write a "Mémoire"
about my diploma work. (Sorry for using the french name, I didn't found
the English word and I'm sure it's not "Memory", like in computer
memory).

I plan to use Org-mode to write my "Mémoire", then export it to LaTeX
then PDF. And because I will have to draw some electronic circuits, I
want to use the LaTeX pkg named "CircuitIkz". And I want to put the
drawn circuits in figures with a caption.

For doing it, the manual say I can write the latex code into an export
block, like this:

#+BEGIN_EXPORT latex
  any arbitrary LaTeX code
#+END_EXPORT

I have done it with success, but I have to define the figure and the
caption in LaTeX, into the export bloc.

But I remember that it's possible to use Babel source bloc, indicate
"latex" as language then evaluate it. But I've never do it. Is it better
than using export bloc ? Does it give a simple way to encapsulate the
result into a figure with caption ?

Best regards

-------
Gendre Sébastien

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: LaTeX brocs: Babel vs export
@ 2024-05-27 14:55 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-05-27 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Gendre; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> writes:

> tl;dr: Which is the best option between LaTeX source bloc and LaTeX
>        export bloc to embed some LaTeX code in my Org-mode document ?
> But I remember that it's possible to use Babel source bloc, indicate
> "latex" as language then evaluate it. But I've never do it. Is it better
> than using export bloc ? Does it give a simple way to encapsulate the
> result into a figure with caption ?

When result is an image, you can use #+caption and other affiliated
keywords to control how the image is rendered in LaTeX. So, yes, you can
use LaTeX source block.

It will be also somewhat easier if you want to re-generate previews of
the rendered image only.

However, direct LaTeX is (naturally) more flexible. If you need some
non-trivial typesetting, you may have better luck with direct LaTeX.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,