* running code with sessions on remote computers
@ 2020-05-21 19:06 Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2020-05-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

I am trying to run some code on a remote machine. This is R code,
and uses the `:session` argument so that all blocks in the file
use the same session. This works fine when I ssh into the machine
and open Emacs running on that machine. However, when I use tramp
from my local machine, everything works, except that the session
argument is ignored. The top of my file looks like:

```

#+PROPERTY: header-args:R  :session *R-sdm*

* Current code
#+begin_src R setup :session *R-sdm*
  options(java.parameters = "-Xmx25g")
  library(raster)
  library(dismo)
#+end_src

```

I normally set the `:session` argument only in the file
`#+PROPERTY:` line, but here I added it to the code block header
as well, after it didn't work without it. It didn't make a
difference though.

What I see when I evaluate the code in this block: I'm prompted
for a directory to start in, and the new R process is started
there, with the name `*R-2*`. If I evaluate another code block in
the same file, I'm again prompted for the directory, and a new
process is started there, with the name `*R-3*`. Note that there
is no session named *R* running on the remote machine, although
there is one running on my local machine.

What I expect is to have the R session names `*R-sdm*`, and to
have the same session shared by all code blocks in this file.

My questions:
- is it possible to run code blocks in a session on a remote
  machine?
- if it is, how can I approach sorting this out - is it an orgmode
  problem, a tramp problem, or an ESS problem?

Thanks!

Tyler

--
Tyler Smith
plantarum.ca

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-05-21 19:07 UTC | newest]