* creating png images in emails with org-mode
@ 2020-09-16 10:03 Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2020-09-16 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

One more time, my setup to create png image via LaTeX in email in org-mode
is broken.

I get this error message:

Creating LaTeX preview...
org-compile-file: File "/tmp/orgtex2wp50c.png" wasn’t produced.  Please
adjust ‘imagemagick’ part of ‘org-preview-latex-process-alist’.

Your help is welcome, because I do not understand what I have to do, how I
have to "adjust" imagemagick.

Best wishes,

Jo.

* Re: creating png images in emails with org-mode
@ 2020-09-16 11:37 ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2020-09-16 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

My problem has just been  solved with substituting dvipng for imagemagick:

(setq org-latex-create-formula-image-program 'dvipng)

; (setq org-latex-create-formula-image-program 'imagemagick)

@ 2020-09-16 14:00   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-09-16 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday, 16 Sep 2020 at 13:37, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> My problem has just been solved with substituting dvipng for imagemagick:

This may solve your problem but you really shouldn't be having that
problem in the first place?  I use imagemagick, not dvipng, and things
work fine for me, e.g.

$$ \frac{a}{b} $$

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.7-725-g7bc18e

[-- Attachment #2.2: latexr3gJi9_5c1f0461c61efbab27202a4a8944b1e43a4ccc3d.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 412 bytes --]

* Re: creating png images in emails with org-mode
@ 2020-09-17  4:57 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2020-09-17  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> One more time, my setup to create png image via LaTeX in email in org-mode is broken.
>
> I get this error message:
>
> Creating LaTeX preview...
> org-compile-file: File "/tmp/orgtex2wp50c.png" wasn’t produced.  Please adjust ‘imagemagick’ part of ‘org-preview-latex-process-alist’.
>
> Your help is welcome, because I do not understand what I have to do, how I have to "adjust" imagemagick.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jo.

Apparently, recent versions of ImageMagick (version 7 seems to be one)
on (perhaps) some distros ship with a
/etc/ImageMagick-<version>/policy.xml file that imposes restrictions
on what can be done. Here's an SE question with some information:

    https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/31408/error-message-when-previewing-latex-snippet-in-org-file

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: creating png images in emails with org-mode
@ 2020-09-17 12:27   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-09-17 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 17 Sep 2020 at 00:57, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Apparently, recent versions of ImageMagick (version 7 seems to be one)
> on (perhaps) some distros ship with a
> /etc/ImageMagick-<version>/policy.xml file that imposes restrictions
> on what can be done. Here's an SE question with some information:

Thank you.  Interesting.

For the OP, it might be worth noting that the solution on the
StackExchange page you linked to refers to the generation of PDF files
from the LaTeX snippet; I would imagine that the fix noted will need to
be adjusted for PNG files but cannot verify as I'm still on ImageMagick
version 6 and don't have these issues.

--

@ 2020-09-18 14:08     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2020-09-18 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Thursday, 17 Sep 2020 at 00:57, Nick Dokos wrote:
>> Apparently, recent versions of ImageMagick (version 7 seems to be one)
>> on (perhaps) some distros ship with a
>> /etc/ImageMagick-<version>/policy.xml file that imposes restrictions
>> on what can be done. Here's an SE question with some information:
>
> Thank you.  Interesting.
>
> For the OP, it might be worth noting that the solution on the
> StackExchange page you linked to refers to the generation of PDF files
> from the LaTeX snippet; I would imagine that the fix noted will need to
> be adjusted for PNG files but cannot verify as I'm still on ImageMagick
> version 6 and don't have these issues.

Actually, it refers to the generation of PNG files from PDF files using
`convert' (I think). The `imagemagick' process of LaTeX preview uses
`pdflatex'to go from TeX to PDF and `convert' to go from PDF to PNG.

--

@ 2020-09-18 14:48       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-09-18 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 10:08, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Actually, it refers to the generation of PNG files from PDF files using
> `convert' (I think). The `imagemagick' process of LaTeX preview uses
> `pdflatex'to go from TeX to PDF and `convert' to go from PDF to PNG.

Ah, yes, that makes sense!  Thank you.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.7-725-g7bc18e