* Maybe not as simple as I thought
       [not found] <639971559.598159.1657652027758.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2022-07-12 18:53 ` David Boss
From: David Boss @ 2022-07-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

If, asI have understood, there is a single zero-width-space character I canuse to stop Org mode interpretation, don't tell me how to insert it;tell me its 8-bit value, in binary or hex. If I have to be in16-bit-character mode to use it, tell me that.

If it's really 2 characters, but works OK in 8-bit mode, tell methat, too, and tell me the 16 bits.

Next, if that character appears in a file, exactly what effectdoes it have on the Org mode interpreter? Does it

suppress the Org-mode-syntactical effect of the precedingcharacter? Or,

suppress the syntactical effect of the following character?Or,

only work if it appears both before and after its intended victim?

Or, what?

Absolutely all I want to be able to do, is to find stars, slashes,and underlines, in incoming text, and add something to each to keepit from being interpreted by the Org mode interpreter. Using lispcode, not my fingers.

I don't need to be told anything else.

David Boss

* Re: Maybe not as simple as I thought
@ 2022-08-03 12:21   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-03 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Boss; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

David Boss <dave.boss@yahoo.com> writes:

> If, asI have understood, there is a single zero-width-space character I canuse to stop Org mode interpretation, don't tell me how to insert it;tell me its 8-bit value, in binary or hex. If I have to be in16-bit-character mode to use it, tell me that.
>
> If it's really 2 characters, but works OK in 8-bit mode, tell methat, too, and tell me the 16 bits.

zero-width space is a UTF character.

> Next, if that character appears in a file, exactly what effectdoes it have on the Org mode interpreter? Does it

> suppress the Org-mode-syntactical effect of the precedingcharacter? Or,
>
> suppress the syntactical effect of the following character?Or,
>
> only work if it appears both before and after its intended victim?

It has the same effect as inserting an actual space in place of the
zero-width space, except that zero-width space does not create an actual
space between the characters.

> Absolutely all I want to be able to do, is to find stars, slashes,and underlines, in incoming text, and add something to each to keepit from being interpreted by the Org mode interpreter. Using lispcode, not my fingers.
>
> I don't need to be told anything else.

Another alternative is using entities:
* = \star
/ = \slash
_ = \under

Entities will never be interpreted as markup boundaries.

Best,
Ihor