* Variable Hyperlinks ?
@ 2024-06-21  1:58 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2024-06-21  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use Org with Emacs 28.2 on Linux and BeOrg on iPhones.  I don't
believe iPhones support "symbolic links".  Therefore, where I mount a
USB key on each is going to be a different directory.  I'd like to store
pictures on my USB key and reference them via "file:" hyperlinks in
Org. My problem is accounting for the different directory locations.

Can I create a variable (property? tag?) in my Org file that will have
the path to the USB key directory and use that in an Org hyperlink?

If I can do this in Org, maybe I can use Scheme in BeOrg to do the same
thing and reset the variable for iPhone.  I've thought about using
Syncthing to copy photos around, but space on the iPhone and Chromebook
(for Linux) is at a premium and, after a while, the photos could exceed
available space.  A 1TB USB key gives me a lot of space.

--
David Masterson

* Re: Variable Hyperlinks ?
@ 2024-06-21  6:47 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-21  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> I use Org with Emacs 28.2 on Linux and BeOrg on iPhones.  I don't
> believe iPhones support "symbolic links".  Therefore, where I mount a
> USB key on each is going to be a different directory.  I'd like to store
> pictures on my USB key and reference them via "file:" hyperlinks in
> Org. My problem is accounting for the different directory locations.
>
> Can I create a variable (property? tag?) in my Org file that will have
> the path to the USB key directory and use that in an Org hyperlink?

You can have environment variables in link paths:

[[file:$HOME/wallpaper.png]]

Alternatively, you can define a link abbreviation:

#+link: local-file /home/user/

[[local-file:wallpaper.png]]

and then load it via #+SETUPFILE with different setupfiles on PC and
phone.

Or you can have a custom link type.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Variable Hyperlinks ?
@ 2024-06-23 23:28   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2024-06-23 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I use Org with Emacs 28.2 on Linux and BeOrg on iPhones.  I don't
>> believe iPhones support "symbolic links".  Therefore, where I mount a
>> USB key on each is going to be a different directory.  I'd like to store
>> pictures on my USB key and reference them via "file:" hyperlinks in
>> Org. My problem is accounting for the different directory locations.
>>
>> Can I create a variable (property? tag?) in my Org file that will have
>> the path to the USB key directory and use that in an Org hyperlink?
>
> You can have environment variables in link paths:
>
> [[file:$HOME/wallpaper.png]]

Hmm. iOS (Beorg) doesn't handle environment variables (I think).  But
maybe I can hide that...?  Hmm.

> Alternatively, you can define a link abbreviation:
>
> #+link: local-file /home/user/
>
> [[local-file:wallpaper.png]]
>
> and then load it via #+SETUPFILE with different setupfiles on PC and
> phone.

That looks good.  I'll have to experiment with that on Beorg and as on
the Beorg forum.

> Or you can have a custom link type.

I hope I don't have to get that complicated. ;-)

--
David Masterson