Hi Jost Jost Burkardt writes: > Sorry to correct you, but the result is correct. As Carsten said: > > The :CATEGORY: property applies to the entry headline _above_ it, and to > the entire tree below it > > So in your example > >>> * Teaching >>> :PROPERTIES: >>> :CATEGORY: Teaching >>> :END: >>> ** Sanskrit I (WS08) :PROJECT: >>> :PROPERTIES: >>> :CATEGORY: Sanscrit I >>> :END: > > the ":CATEGORY: Sanscrit I" applies to the entry _above_, i.e. > > ** Sanskrit I (WS08) > > and the ":CATEGORY: Teaching" is overridden. The TODO > entries in your file are _below_ ":CATEGORY: Sanscrit I" > so they will show up fine. > > Think of the PROPERTIES as an attribute of the entry above. Ok, I understand now. Thanks for explaining. What I want to do seems quite simple and natural to me. What would be the org-way to get my desired output? Can I use two different property keywords, one for areas and one for projects? How do other people do it? I could, of course, simply skip the property for the 1st level, but this would always result in a corrupt agenda view for projects. Not a catastrophe, but not nice. Greetings Sven