* ob-shell: possibly missing initiate-session functions?
@ 2024-06-10  2:48 Suhail Singh
From: Suhail Singh @ 2024-06-10  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Currently (Org 9.7.3), org-babel-switch-to-session invokes
org-babel-initiate-session which tries to invoke
org-babel-<lang>-initiate-session.  On a related note, ob-shell defines
org-babel-sh-initiate-session (and uses it within
org-babel-execute:shell).

However, there are no definitions for org-babel-shell-initiate-session
nor org-babel-bash-initiate-session etc.  This means that trying to use
org-metadown (which invokes org-babel-switch-to-session) on shell and
bash language session blocks results in the following errors
respectively:

#+begin_comment
  org-babel-initiate-session: No org-babel-initiate-session function for shell!
  org-babel-initiate-session: No org-babel-initiate-session function for bash!
#+end_comment

Is this a bug?  If so, does org-babel-shell-initialize need to be
patched to set up function aliases pointing to
org-babel-sh-initiate-session ?

FWIW, I have been using such aliases in my personal config for bash and
shell language blocks and they seem to behave as expected.

--
Suhail

* Re: ob-shell: possibly missing initiate-session functions?
@ 2024-06-16 18:53 ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2024-06-16 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

 ---- On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 04:48:10 +0200  Suhail Singh  wrote ---
 > Currently (Org 9.7.3), org-babel-switch-to-session invokes
 > org-babel-initiate-session which tries to invoke
 > org-babel--initiate-session.  On a related note, ob-shell defines
 > org-babel-sh-initiate-session (and uses it within
 > org-babel-execute:shell).
 >
 > However, there are no definitions for org-babel-shell-initiate-session
 > nor org-babel-bash-initiate-session etc.  This means that trying to use
 > org-metadown (which invokes org-babel-switch-to-session) on shell and
 > bash language session blocks results in the following errors
 > respectively:
 >
 > #+begin_comment
 >   org-babel-initiate-session: No org-babel-initiate-session function for shell!
 >   org-babel-initiate-session: No org-babel-initiate-session function for bash!
 > #+end_comment
 >
 > Is this a bug?  If so, does org-babel-shell-initialize need to be
 > patched to set up function aliases pointing to
 > org-babel-sh-initiate-session ?
 >
 > FWIW, I have been using such aliases in my personal config for bash and
 > shell language blocks and they seem to behave as expected.

Thank you for your message!  Yes, I would consider this a bug.

I agree, defining an alias within "org-babel-shell-initialize" seems reasonable.  However, it's important that "explicit-shell-file-name" is set to the appropriate shell name.  In your case, I suspect it's a coincidence that aliasing "org-babel-sh-initiate-session" works.  A "shell" block defaults to "explicit-shell-file-name".  This, I suspect, is "bash" in your case, yet may be something different on another system.  The alias would need to close over "explicit-shell-file-name" like is done with "org-babel-execute:name".

--
Matt Trzcinski
Emacs Org contributor (ob-shell)

* Re: ob-shell: possibly missing initiate-session functions?
@ 2024-06-16 22:54   ` Suhail Singh
From: Suhail Singh @ 2024-06-16 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt <matt@excalamus.com> writes:

> I agree, defining an alias within "org-babel-shell-initialize" seems
> reasonable.  However, it's important that "explicit-shell-file-name"
> is set to the appropriate shell name.  In your case, I suspect it's a
> coincidence that aliasing "org-babel-sh-initiate-session" works.  A
> "shell" block defaults to "explicit-shell-file-name".  This, I
> suspect, is "bash" in your case, yet may be something different on
> another system.

In my case, explicit-shell-file-name has the default value of nil.
However, shell-file-name (which is initialized from $SHELL) is
"/bin/bash".

> The alias would need to close over "explicit-shell-file-name" like is
> done with "org-babel-execute:name".

And what should be done in the case of org-babel-shell-initiate-session?
Should shell-file-name and explicit-shell-file-name remain unaltered
from their existing settings in that case?

I'm happy to send a patch, though it may be simpler for you to do so
yourself in case you have write-access.  Please let me know.

--

@ 2024-06-17 15:45     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-17 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suhail Singh <suhailsingh247@gmail.com> writes:

>> The alias would need to close over "explicit-shell-file-name" like is
>> done with "org-babel-execute:name".
>
> And what should be done in the case of org-babel-shell-initiate-session?
> Should shell-file-name and explicit-shell-file-name remain unaltered
> from their existing settings in that case?

Fixed, on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=5b366a731

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: ob-shell: possibly missing initiate-session functions?
@ 2024-06-17 18:29       ` Suhail Singh
From: Suhail Singh @ 2024-06-17 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Fixed, on main.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=5b366a731

#+begin_src diff
         (put fname 'definition-name 'org-babel-shell-initialize))
  +    (let ((fname (intern (concat "org-babel-prep-session:" name))))
  +      (defalias fname
  +        (lambda (session params)
  +	  (:documentation
  +           (format "Prepare %s SESSION according to the header arguments specified in PARAMS." name))
  +	  (let ((explicit-shell-file-name name)
  +                (shell-file-name name))
  +	    (org-babel-prep-session:shell session params))))
  +      (put fname 'definition-name 'org-babel-shell-initialize))
  +    (let ((fname (intern (format "org-babel-%s-initiate-session" name))))
  +      (defalias fname
  +        (lambda (session _params)
  +	  (:documentation
  +           (format "Initiate %s session named SESSION." name))
  +	  (let ((explicit-shell-file-name name)
  +                (shell-file-name name))
  +	    (org-babel-sh-initiate-session session))))
  +      (put fname 'definition-name 'org-babel-shell-initialize))
#+end_src

Am I mistaken, or does something still need to be done about

@ 2024-06-18 12:46         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-18 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suhail Singh <suhailsingh247@gmail.com> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Fixed, on main.
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=5b366a731
> Am I mistaken, or does something still need to be done about
> org-babel-shell-initiate-session ?

True.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=5e9ac146f

--