* Pop up reference card
@ 2008-07-31 14:37 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-07-31 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Training wheels.  That's what I need.  One reason I like emacs so much.
Emacs-the self documenting text editor.

With abundant thanks to Kyle Sherman and his recently updated text org
card.  I was able to convert this to org-mode, and now have a command to pop
it up:

(defun org-help ()
  (interactive)
  (find-file "~/org/help.org"))
(define-key global-map "\C-c7" 'org-help)

Against my better judgement, I attach this file.  The reason I do not feel
comfortable is that I have edited some strokes out of it.  And it's not my
work, generally.

Now I have a question or suggestion.  How difficult would it be to have this
kind of pop-up help available and generated by org itself.

Some background: Some years ago, I made up a popup feature that would pop up
all my bindings for a certain prefix keymap.  For example, I had a \C-x6 as
a prefix, and this little card would display keybindings for all the
functions I bound to these keys.  I also do the same for several other
prefixes.  I bound this to be displayed when I typed \C-x6 [F1].   However,
due to a fortuitous event, I stopped writing these up.  I discovered that
for some reason, and for some prefix maps, inexplicably,  emacs itself has a
feature that does this automatically!!!!!!!!!!!!

The result for /C-c is far too limited to be useful for me for org mode, but
it does work.  The converted text reference card is a pretty good place to
start.  Perhaps org can be programmed to produce one of these.

Thank you Kyle, and everyone else who has contribued to this package.

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man

[-- Attachment #2: help.org --]

# Org Help   -*- mode: org -*-
 Org-Mode Reference Card (for version 6.06)

* Visibility Cycling

  -show the whole file                               C-c C-a
  -reveal context around point                       C-c C-r
  -show subtree, indirect buffer (\C-u, ded. frm)    C-c C-x b

* Motion

  -jump to another place in document                 C-c C-j

* Structure Editing

  -insert new heading after subtree                  C-RET
  -insert new TODO entry/checkbox item               M-S-RET
  -promote/demote current heading up one level       M-LEFT/RIGHT
  -promote/demote current subtree up one level       M-S-LEFT/RIGHT
  -move subtree/list item up/down                    M-S-UP/DOWN
  -refile subtree                                    C-c C-w
  -kill subtree                                      C-c C-x C-w
  -copy subtree                                      C-c C-x M-w
  -yank subtree                                      C-c C-x C-y

# Archiving

  -toggle ARCHIVE tag                                C-c C-x C-a
  -move subtree to archive file                      C-c C-x C-s

*  Filtering and Sparse Trees

  -construct a sparse tree by various criteria       C-c /
  -view TODO's in sparse tree                        C-c C-v
  -global TODO list in agenda mode                   C-c a t
  -time sorted view of current org file              C-c a L

* Tables

** Creating a table

    -just start typing, e.g.                           |Name|Phone|Age RET |- TAB
    -convert region to table                           C-c |
    -... separator at least 3 spaces                   C-3 C-c |

** Commands available inside tables

  The following commands work when the cursor is inside a table.  Outside of
  tables, the same keys may have other functionality.

*** Re-aligning and field motion

     - re-align the table without moving the cursor      C-c C-c
     - re-align the table, move to next field            TAB
     - move to previous field                            S-TAB
     - re-align the table, move to next row              RET

*** Row and column editing

     - move the current column left                      M-LEFT/RIGHT
     - kill the current column                           M-S-LEFT
     - insert new column to left of cursor position      M-S-RIGHT
     - move the current row up/down                      M-UP/DOWN
     - kill the current row or horizontal line           M-S-UP
     - insert new row above the current row              M-S-DOWN
     - insert hline below (C-u : above) current row      C-c -
     - sort lines in region                              C-c ^

*** Regions

     - cut rectangular region                            C-c C-x C-w
     - copy rectangular region                           C-c C-x M-w
     - paste rectangular region                          C-c C-x C-y
     - fill paragraph across selected cells              C-c C-q

*** Miscellaneous

     - to limit column width to N characters, use        ...| <N> |...
     - edit the current field in a separate window       C-c `
     - make current field fully visible                  C-u TAB
     - export as tab-separated file                      M-x org-table-export
     - import tab-separated file                         M-x org-table-import
     - sum numbers in current column/rectangle           C-c +
     -

** Tables created with the table.el package

   -insert a new table.el table                       C-c ~
   -recognize existing table.el table                 C-c C-c
   -convert table (Org-mode <-> table.el)             C-c ~

**  Spreadsheet

  Formulas typed in field are executed by TAB, RET and C-c C-c.  = introduces a
  column formula, := a field formula.

    - Example: Add Col1 and Col2                        |=$1+$2 |
    - ... with printf format specification              |=$1+$2;%.2f|
    - ... with constants from constants.el              |=$1/$c/$cm |
    - sum from 2nd to 3rd hline                         |:=vsum(@II..@III)|
    - apply current column formula                      | = |
    - set and eval column formula                       C-c =
    - set and eval field formula                        C-u C-c =
    - re-apply all stored equations to current line     C-c *
    - re-apply all stored equations to entire table     C-u C-c *
    - iterate table to stability                        C-u C-u C-c *
    - rotate calculation mark through # * ! $           C-#
    - show line, column, formula reference              C-c ?
    - toggle coordinate grid                            C-c }
    - toggle formula debugger                           C-c {

** Formula Editor

    - edit formulas in separate buffer                  C-c '
    - exit and install new formulas                     C-c C-c
    - exit, install, and apply new formulas             C-u C-c C-c
    - abort                                             C-c C-q
    - toggle reference style                            C-c C-r
    - pretty-print Lisp formula                         TAB
    - complete Lisp symbol                              M-TAB
    - shift reference point                             S-cursor
    - shift test line for column references             M-up/down
    - scroll the window showing the table               M-S-up/down
    - toggle table coordinate grid                      C-c }

* Links

  - globally store link to the current location       C-c l [1]
  - insert a link (TAB completes stored links)        C-c C-l
  - insert file link with file name completion        C-u C-c C-l
  - edit (also hidden part of) link at point          C-c C-l
  - open file links in emacs                          C-c C-o
  - ... force open in emacs/other window              C-u C-c C-o
  - open link at point                                mouse-1/2
  - ... force open in emacs/other window              mouse-3
  - record a position in mark ring                    C-c %
  - jump back to last followed link(s)                C-c &
  - find next link                                    C-c C-x C-n
  - find previous link                                C-c C-x C-p
  - edit code snippet of file at point                C-c '

** Internal Links

    - <<My Target>>                                     target
    - <<<My Target>>>                                   radio target [2]
[[    - *this text]]                                    find headline
[[    - this text]]                                     find target or text in buffer
[[this text][    - description]]                        optional link text

** External Links

    - file:/home/dominik/img/mars.jpg                   file, absolute
    - file:papers/last.pdf                              file, relative
    - file:projects.org::*that text                     find headline
    - file:projects.org::find me                        find trgt/string
    - http://www.astro.uva.nl/dominik                   on the web
    - mailto:adent@galaxy.net                           Email address
    - news:comp.emacs                                   Usenet group
    - bbdb:Richard Stallman                             BBDB person
    - gnus:group                                        GNUS group
    - gnus:group#id                                     GNUS message
    - vm|wl|mhe|rmail:folder                            Mail folder
    - vm|wl|mhe|rmail:folder#id                         Mail message
    - info:emacs:Regexps                                Info file:node
    - shell:ls *.org                                    shell command
    - elisp:(calendar)                                  elisp form
[[external link][    - description]]                    optional link text

* Completion

  In-buffer completion completes TODO keywords at headline start, TeX macros
  after `\', option keywords after `#-â', TAGS after `:', and dictionary words
  elsewhere.

  - complete word at point                            M-TAB

* TODO Items and Checkboxes

  - rotate the state of the current item              C-c C-t
  - select next/previous state                        S-LEFT/RIGHT
  - select next/previous set                          C-S-LEFT/RIGHT
  - view TODO items in a sparse tree                  C-c C-v
  - view 3rd TODO keyword's sparse tree               C-3 C-c C-v
  - set the priority of the current item              C-c , [ABC]
  - remove priority cookie from current item          C-c , SPC
  - raise/lower priority of current item              S-UP/DOWN [3]
  - insert new checkbox item in plain list            M-S-RET
  - toggle checkbox(es) in region/entry/at point      C-c C-x C-b
  - toggle checkbox at point                          C-c C-c
  - checkbox statistics cookies                       insert [/] or [%]
  - update checkbox statistics (C-u : whole file)     C-c #

* Tags

  -set tags for current heading                      C-c C-c
  -realign tags in all headings                      C-u C-c C-c
  -create sparse tree with matching tags             C-c \
  -globally (agenda) match tags at cursor            C-c C-o

* Properties and Column View

  - set property}{C-c C-x p}
  - special commands in property lines}{C-c C-c}
  - next/previous allowed value}{S-left/right}
  - turn on column view}{C-c C-x C-c}
  - capture columns view in dynamic block}{C-c C-x r}
  -
  - quit column view}{q}
  - next/previous allowed value}{S-left/right}
  - next/previous allowed value}{n / p}
  - edit value}{e}
  - edit allowed values list}{a}
  - show value}{v}
  - make column wider/narrower}{> / <}
  - move column left/right}{M-left/right}
  - add new column}{M-S-right}
  - Delete current column}{M-S-left}

* Timestamps

  - prompt for date and insert timestamp              C-c .
  - like C-c . but insert date and time format        C-u C-c .
  - like C-c . but make stamp inactive                C-c !
  - insert DEADLINE timestamp                         C-c C-d
  - insert SCHEDULED timestamp                        C-c C-s
  - create sparse tree with all deadlines due         C-c C-w
  - the time between 2 dates in a time range          C-c C-y
  - change timestamp at cursor by ±1 day              S-RIGHT/LEFT [3]
  - change year/month/day at cursor by ±1             S-UP/DOWN [3]
  - access the calendar for the current date          C-c >
  - insert timestamp matching date in calendar        C-c <
  - access agenda for current date                    C-c C-o
  - select date while prompted                        mouse-1/RET
  - toggle custom format display for dates/times      C-c C-x C-t

* Clocking time

  - start clock on current item                       C-c C-x C-i
  - stop clock on current item                        C-c C-x C-o
  - cancel current clock                              C-c C-x C-x
  - display total subtree times                       C-c C-x C-d
  - remove displayed times                            C-c C-c
  - insert/update table with clock report             C-c C-x C-r

* Agenda Views

  - add/move current file to front of agenda          C-c [
  - remove current file from your agenda              C-c ]
  - cycle through agenda file list                    C-'
  - compile agenda for the current week               C-c a a [1]
  - compile global TODO list                          C-c a t [1]
  - compile TODO list for specific keyword            C-c a T [1]
  - match tags, todo kwds and properties              C-c a m [1]
  - match only in TODO entries                        C-c a M [1]
  - find stuck projects                               C-c a # [1]
  - show timeline of current org file                 C-c a L [1]
  - configure custom commands                         C-c a C [1]
  - configure stuck projects                          C-c a ! [1]
  - agenda for date at cursor                         C-c C-o

** To set categories, add lines like:
   #+CATEGORY: MyCateg

** View Org file

    - show and recenter window                          L
    - goto original location in other window            TAB/mouse-2
    - goto original location, delete other windows      RET
    - show subtree in indirect buffer, ded. frame       b
    - toggle follow-mode                                f

** Change display

    - delete other windows                              o
    - switch to day/week/month/year view                d/w/m/y
    - toggle inclusion of diary entries                 D
    - toggle time grid for daily schedule               G
    - toggle display of logbook entries                 l
    - toggle inclusion of archived trees/files          v / C-u v}
    - refresh agenda buffer with any changes            r / g
    - save all org-mode buffers                         s
    - display the next/previous day, week,...           RIGHT/LEFT
    - goto today                                        .

** Remote editing

    - digit argument                                    0-9
    - change state of current TODO item                 t
    - kill item and source                              C-k
    - archive the subtree                               $ / a / A
    - show tags of current headline                     T
    - set tags for current headline                     :
    - toggle ARCHIVE tag                                a
    - set priority of current item                      p
    - raise/lower priority of current item              S-UP/DOWN [3]
    - display weighted priority of current item         P
    - schedule/set deadline for this item               C-c C-s/d
    - change timestamp to one day earlier/later         S-LEFT/RIGHT [3]
    - change timestamp to today                         >
    - insert new entry into diary                       i
    - start/stop/cancel the clock in current item       I / O / X
    - tjump to running clock entry                       J

** Misc

    - Open link in current line                         C-c C-o

** Calendar commands

    - find agenda cursor date in calendar               c
    - compute agenda for calendar cursor date           c
    - show phases of the moon                           M
    - show sunrise/sunset times                         S
    - show holidays                                     H
    - convert date to other calendars                   C

** Quit and Exit

    - quit agenda, remove agenda buffer                 q
    - exit agenda, remove all agenda buffers            x

* Calendar and Diary Integration

  Include Emacs diary entries into Org-mode agenda with:
  (setq org-agenda-include-diary t)

* LaTeX and cdlatex-mode

  - preview LaTeX fragment                            C-c C-x C-l
  - expand abbreviation (cdlatex-mode)                TAB
  - insert/modify math symbol (cdlatex-mode)          ` / '

* Exporting and Publishing

  Exporting creates files with extensions .txt and .html in the current
  directory.  Publishing puts the resulting file into some other place.

  - export/publish dispatcher                         C-c C-e
  - export visible part only                          C-c C-e v
  - insert template of export options                 C-c C-x t
  - toggle fixed width for entry or region            C-c :

** Comments: Text not being exported

  Text before the first headline is not considered part of the document and is
  therefore never exported.  Lines starting with # are comments and are not
  exported.  Subtrees whose header starts with COMMENT are never exported.

  - toggle COMMENT keyword on entry                   C-c ;

* Dynamic Blocks

  - update dynamic block at point                     C-c C-x C-u
  - update all dynamic blocks                         C-u C-c C-x C-u

* Notes

   [1] This is only a suggestion for a binding of this command.  Choose you own
   key as shown under INSTALLATION.

   [2] After changing a #+KEYWORD or <<<target>>> line, press C-c C-c with the
   cursor still in the line to update.

   [3] Keybinding affected by org-CUA-compatibility.

* Re: Pop up reference card
@ 2008-07-31 16:47 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-07-31 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alan,

you could use the splash screen feature of emacs for this. I do this, to
display my own keyboard shortcuts (and those I tend to forget).

A screenshot of an older version is here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SebastiansSplashScreenShot

I've bound C-M-k to show the keys and their descriptions. Any click or
keypress will hide them again.

To just add the table as plain text, you could do this:

(defun sr-display-keys()
  "Meine Tastenkürzel nach dem Start anzeigen"
  (interactive)
  (get-buffer-create "sr-info")
  (switch-to-buffer "sr-info" t)
  (with-current-buffer (get-buffer "sr-info")
    ;(setq left-margin-width 20)         ; Ränder sind immer Buffer-lokal
    (set-window-buffer (selected-window) "sr-info")
    (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
      (use-local-map map)
      ; (define-key map [t]) würde auf jedes Mausevent reagieren.
      (define-key map [mouse-1] 'sr-kill-startup-buffer) ; auf Klick reagieren.
      (define-key map [mouse-3] 'sr-kill-startup-buffer) ; auf Klick reagieren.
      (define-key map [mouse-2] 'sr-kill-startup-buffer) ; auf Klick reagieren.
      (define-key map [(control meta ?k)] 'sr-kill-startup-buffer)
      (setq cursor-type nil             ; No Cursor
            display-hourglass nil
            buffer-undo-list t)         ; No Undo.

      (insert "HERE GOES YOUR TEXT (SHORTCUT TABLE)")

      (insert "\n")
      (insert (propertize "-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
                          'face
                          '( :weight bold :background "RosyBrown1" :foreground "black")))
      (insert "\n\n   Press Key Or Click To Get Rid Of This Buffer\n\n\n")
      (insert "                        ")
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (set-buffer-modified-p nil)
      (make-local-hook 'after-change-functions)
      (add-to-list 'after-change-functions 'sr-kill-startup-buffer)
      )))

--
Sebastian Rose, Hannover, Germany
Phone: +49 173 83 93 417

* Re: Pop up reference card
@ 2008-07-31 23:52   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-07-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sebastian

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> you could use the splash screen feature of emacs for this. I do this, to
> display my own keyboard shortcuts (and those I tend to forget).

That's a pretty good idea. But the code seems incomplete.
sr-kill-startup-buffer is not defined (symbol's function definition is
void).

Greetings

Sven

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: Pop up reference card
@ 2008-08-01  2:14     ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-08-01  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I find this the ideal way to display a short screen of shortcuts, and I will
work with it.  However, when I type any key, nothing happens.  Perhaps this
is related to Sven's message?

I had a popup screen, an ascii char code popup, and a tab popup.  I think I
can adapt them, if I can still find them.

Thank you for this information.

ALan

--

@ 2008-08-01  2:45 lngndvs
From: lngndvs @ 2008-08-01  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following was my help for the /Cx-6 keymap.  I cleaned it up a
little, but it seems to also insert an expanded minibuffer on my
system, with a second copy of this momentarily displayed screen.  (The
functions were little utilities for a lexicon project).

Hope it makes it across.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;  HELP FOR \\C-x6 keys  ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
(defvar my-keys-CX6
  (concat " | \\C-x4.: Goto last focus line        F8: Scientific Names    \n"
          " |                                      F9 : See-section        \n"
          " | \\C-x61:  tc-merge                   F10: fast-1995          \n"
          " | \\C-x62:  tc-twocolumns              F2: Swap-windows                                     \n"
          " | \\C-x63:  ()                    \\C-xF2   Flipflop windows  \n"
          " | \\C-x64:  ()                   \\C-x4F2  transpose-windows \n"
          " | \\C-x65:  move-curly-eol-cmnt  \\C-x45  lex-move-curly (OLD)\n"
          " | \\C-x66:  ()                      \n"
          " | \\C-x67:  ()                      \n"
          " | \\C-x68:                          \n"
          " | \\C-x69: lex-remove-curly-brackets-region \n"
          " | \\C-x60: shell-command-on-region \n"
          " | \\C-x6:: prepend-num-catcode                                  \n"
          " | \\C-x6f10: sort-lines                         \n"
          " | \\C-x6f9: sortex-retro       \\C-x6f8: unsortex-until  \n"
          " | \\C-x4- : focus  \\C-x+: unfocus  \\C--: focus-down  \\M--: focus-up  \n"
	  " | \\C-x60 shell-cmnd-region \n")
  "*String displayed above current line by \\my-function-help].")
;;
;;
(defun my-functions-help-CX6 ()
  "Inserts a reminder of my own functions momentarily above current line, till next keystroke.
The ruler is defined by the value of column-ruler.
 The key typed is executed unless it is SPC."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (momentary-string-display
     my-keys-CX6
       (save-excursion (point-min) (point))
     nil "Type SPC or any command to erase help.")))
;;
;;
(global-set-key (quote [24 54 f1]) (quote my-functions-help-CX6))

;;; End CX6-HELP

Alan