* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-18 12:05 Moakt Temporary Email
From: Moakt Temporary Email @ 2024-08-18 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I want to suggest that SCHEDULED and DEADLINE support things like "first
>> Monday of the month" like cron.

>That would indeed be nice. But may you provide more details on how you
>envision such support to be implemented?

I'm not sure. I am a lowly user :)

"++1m@Mon#1"? Maybe employ cron syntax for month and week for what's after "@"? Another example: "++1m@17" (= add 1 month then the next 17th of the month)

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-21 11:59 Moakt Temporary Email
From: Moakt Temporary Email @ 2024-08-21 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>Any alternative ideas about syntax? My main concern is when the weekday
>name is not in English.

crontab also supports numerals:

0=Sunday
1=Monday
6=Friday
7=Sunday (in a sweet attention to detail and how brains work)

I suggest:
- numerals as the default language-agnostic implementation
- Three letter weekday names in English which covers the vast majority of users

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-19  9:35 Moakt Temporary Email
From: Moakt Temporary Email @ 2024-08-19  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>Note that we also have diary style timestamps with arbitrary logic of
>date selection.
>
>The question is whether a more specialized repeater specification is
>needed. And if it is needed, what should be the available features.
>
>So far, you listed:
>1. Specific day of week, nth from the beginning of month
>2. "add 1 month then the next 17th of the month" - I do not
 >  understand. How is it different from <2024-08-17 ++1m>?

You are right, it is redundant. My brain was in cron syntax mode :)

* [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-17 12:31 Moakt Temporary Email
From: Moakt Temporary Email @ 2024-08-17 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,

I want to suggest that SCHEDULED and DEADLINE support things like "first Monday of the month" like cron.

Thanks