From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
To: Lin Jian <me@linj.tech>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] What about excluding .dir-locals.el from GNU ELPA tarball?
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2024 08:23:29 +0000	[thread overview]

Lin Jian <me@linj.tech> writes:

> Currently, the .dir-locals.el file is included in the GNU ELPA
> tarball[1], which causes this compilation error[2] when doing AOT native
> compilation for Emacs lisp packages in NixOS.

I do not see why anything is wrong on Org side.
.dir-locals.el is a perfectly valid file that may be created by users as
well. The fact that they are native-compiled is probably a bug in NixOS
or a missing feature in Emacs's native compilation (maybe it should skip
compiling dir locals automatically).

> We can workaround this by skipping native compilation for
> .dir-locals.el.  However, I do not think .dir-locals.el has to be
> included in the GNU ELPA tarball.  In addition, MELPA ignores[3] that
> file by default.
>
> Could you exclude .dir-locals.el from GNU ELPA tarball?  FYI,
> :ignored-files[4] of GNU ELPA specification can be used to do this.

Having dir locals file in the tarball can be useful for the users who
wish to edit Org mode's source code. We set a number of editing defaults
there that are employed across Org codebase. These defaults make our
life easier when users create patches by directly modifying Org mode code
they got via ELPA.

Not a bug.
Canceled.

I suggest you to report a bug or feature request to Emacs upstream about
native compiling .dir-locals.el.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,