* Annotate files in org syntax
@ 2008-01-12 15:29 Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-01-12 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thought I might share this with you:

[-- Attachment #2: org-annotate-file.el --]

Cheers,
Phil
--
 Phil Jackson
 http://www.shellarchive.co.uk

* Re: Annotate files in org syntax
@ 2008-01-15 11:06 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-15 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Jackson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Phil, thanks!

Can you say more on how you typically use this?

Thanks.

- Carsten

@ 2008-01-15 12:06   ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-01-15 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Can you say more on how you typically use this?

At the moment I use it solely with code. Rather than put TODOs in the
code itself I like to keep an org style list. As an off the top of my
head example an entry might look like this:

 * ~/blah.pl
 ** TODO [/] Refactor extract_something function          :SPAM_ENGINE:
    - [ ] 100% unit test coverage
    - [ ] Replace substr/index calls with regexps

As all of these are in one file I can use sparse trees to drill down to
a project (for example).

I'm going to hack on it and make it project/branch aware... just haven't
figured out how yet :)

Cheers,
Phil
--

@ 2008-01-15 16:18     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-15 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Jackson; +Cc: org-mode list

On Jan 15, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Phil Jackson wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can you say more on how you typically use this?
>
> At the moment I use it solely with code. Rather than put TODOs in the
> code itself I like to keep an org style list. As an off the top of my
> head example an entry might look like this:
>
> * ~/blah.pl
> ** TODO [/] Refactor extract_something function          :SPAM_ENGINE:
>    - [ ] 100% unit test coverage
>    - [ ] Replace substr/index calls with regexps
>
> As all of these are in one file I can use sparse trees to drill down
> a project (for example).

Thanks.

> I'm going to hack on it and make it project/branch aware... just
> haven't
> figured out how yet :)

Yes, I guess you might want to have sections corresponding to functions
in a source code file or so.  Maybe you can get some inspiration from
the
code i Emacs that produced ChangeLog entires (e.g. `add-change-log-
entry').
These commands create an etnry consisting of a file name and some kind
of
local section like a function name, a section in a texinfo document etc.

Best wishes

- Carsten

* Re: Annotate files in org syntax
@ 2008-01-15 17:31       ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-01-15 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

>> I'm going to hack on it and make it project/branch aware... just
>> haven't figured out how yet :)

> Yes, I guess you might want to have sections corresponding to
> functions in a source code file or so.  Maybe you can get some
> inspiration from the code i Emacs that produced ChangeLog entires
> (e.g. `add-change-log- entry').  These commands create an etnry
> consisting of a file name and some kind of local section like a
> function name, a section in a texinfo document etc.

Good thinking, I'll take a look. In the mean time I've hacked in the
ability to link to a particular line with a subheading:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/org-annotate-file.el

Cheers,
Phil
--