From: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
To: Tim O'Callaghan <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com>
Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: problems cloning the org mode git repo
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:09:48 -0400	[thread overview]

One thing you can try is to verify you can connect to the git port on
the remote server.  The remote port is 9418 so as long as this outbound
port is not blocked you should get a quick response with Connected to
rover4.or.cz.

bernt@gollum:~/org$ telnet git.or.cz 9418
Trying 62.24.64.27...
Connected to rover4.or.cz.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
bernt@gollum:~/org$

If it's blocked the Trying 62.24.64.27... will never complete and if you
don't interrupted it you eventually get a timeout error.

If it works use ctrl-] to get the telnet> prompt and type quit RETURN

-Bernt