Carsten Dominik wrote: >what is the difference/advantage of this idea over using uuidgen as >Org does now? Well, it allows uuids without depending on the presence of the uuidgen binary. E.g. I happen to occasionally use computers I have no control of and carry my Emacs/Org configuration with me. Without the elisp function the ID properties of my headlines are in an inconsistent format depending on whether uuidgen was present on the machine I created the ID property or not. It may be a little pedantic but I'd like to be specific in what format the IDs have and like the idea of having IDs that follow an established standard. Maybe another usage of the function could be: - org-id-method can be 'org for Org's id mechanism or 'uuid for uuids - `org-id-new' uses uuidgen if present and falls back to the elisp function otherwise Regards, -- David -- OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6 Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org Email..... dmaus@ictsoc.de