* Re: Context-sensitive word count in org mode (elisp)
@ 2011-02-16 16:22 Benjamin Beckwith
From: Benjamin Beckwith @ 2011-02-16 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton, emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

I have a small emacs project that creates a word-count mode and function
for use.  It currently does not ignore sections like your proposal, but I think
that would be interesting functionality.

Mine does keep a running tally of adds/delete in the mode line.  It also
lets you set a goal and provides a visual indication when that goal is
met -- I believe that this feature may be of interest to you.

You can find it at:
https://github.com/bnbeckwith/wc-mode

Regards,
Ben

* Re: Re: Context-sensitive word count in org mode (elisp)
@ 2011-02-16 16:32 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-16 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Beckwith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Paul Sexton

Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin Beckwith <bnbeckwith@gmail.com> writes:

> You can find it at:
> https://github.com/bnbeckwith/wc-mode

Nice.  How hard would it be to make it org-aware (i.e. don't count
syntactic elements in an org buffer)?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: Context-sensitive word count in org mode (elisp)
@ 2011-02-16 18:56   ` Benjamin Beckwith
From: Benjamin Beckwith @ 2011-02-16 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Paul Sexton

> Nice.  How hard would it be to make it org-aware (i.e. don't count
> syntactic elements in an org buffer)?

I use the how-many function to get the search.  I'm not sure off the
top of my head, but there would be some rework required to make it
work properly and ignore those items.

I'll gladly accept any ideas or patches into my code to make it org-friendly.

-Ben

* Re: Context-sensitive word count in org mode (elisp)
@ 2011-02-16 23:31 ` Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2011-02-16 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

That looks really good. My suggestion would be to modify it so that
'wc-count' can be redefined on a per-major-mode or per-buffer basis,
eg via a buffer-local variable 'wc-count-function'.

Then my org-word-count function could be slotted in fairly easily -
I would just have to modify it so that it *returns* the count, rather
than reporting it.

Paul

* Re: Re: Context-sensitive word count in org mode (elisp)
@ 2011-02-17 10:02     ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-02-17 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

> I don't agree with changing '(match-end 0)' to '(match-beginning 2)'
> however. For most latex macros, I don't want to count the words inside
> the macro's arguments.

Maybe you're right. I rarely use latex, so I can't think of a use case
off the top of my head. Default no, optional yes sounds good.

Yours,
Christian

* Re: Re: Context-sensitive word count in org mode (elisp)
@ 2011-02-17 16:50   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-02-17 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This looks great.

How hard do you think it would be to show how many words there are for
every subtree in a similar way to how clock durations are summed in
c-c c-x c-d and displayed in the subtree itself in reverse video?

* Re: Re: Context-sensitive word count in org mode (elisp)
@ 2011-02-17 18:57       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-17 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Paul Sexton

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> I don't agree with changing '(match-end 0)' to '(match-beginning 2)'
>> however. For most latex macros, I don't want to count the words inside
>> the macro's arguments.
>
> Maybe you're right. I rarely use latex, so I can't think of a use case
> off the top of my head. Default no, optional yes sounds good.

I find the following handy for word-count of latex documents...

#+begin_src sh :var basename=(file-name-sans-extension (buffer-file-name))
  pdftotext $basename.pdf - |wc -w
#+end_src

* Re: Re: Context-sensitive word count in org mode (elisp)
@ 2011-02-18 14:34   ` Bastien
       [not found]     ` <4D601314.8000701@xnet.co.nz>
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

Paul Sexton <psexton@xnet.co.nz> writes:

> Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is version 2.

Thanks for that.  Maybe you could put if on Worg/org-hacks.org?

> I would still like to count hyperlink descriptions but am not sure
> how -- is there a function that fetches the description of the hyperlink
> at point?

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (when (looking-at org-bracket-link-analytic-regexp)
    (match-string-no-properties 5))
#+end_src emacs-lisp

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: Context-sensitive word count in org mode (elisp)
@ 2011-02-21 23:30       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-02-21 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Out of curiosity, has anybody compared the results that this provides
with exporting to HTML, rendering with a browser (including
emacs-w3m), and counting words that way?

--
The Kafka Pandemic:
http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcome-to-kafka-pandemic-two-forces_9182.html

@ 2011-02-22 11:28       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-22 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

Paul Sexton <psexton@xnet.co.nz> writes:

> The process of contributing to Worg is too complicated for me.

You can clone the Worg.git repository with

  $ git clone git://repo.or.cz/Worg.git

Then make some edit on Worg.

Then commit your changes with

  $ git commit -a -m "Your message"

Then create a patch with

  $ git format-patch master

Then send the patch.

> If someone else wants to add it somewhere on my behalf that is fine
> with me.

I added a section "Count words in an Org buffer" with your code in
Worg/org-hacks.org.  Thanks.

> Have you thought of making Worg a wiki?
> Wikis hosted on github can be written in org-mode format.

Yes, but this format is limited.  I think it's good to have all Org's
functionalities in Worg, not only the one needed for publication.  In
particular, org-issues.org contains lots of information that we want
to handle locally, not just for publishing.

Best,

--
 Bastien