AW writes: > Thank you, customization worked, but it did not start word -- I'm going > another way now. I am playing a guessing game and don't know what I am saying. Try this. M-: (shell-quote-argument (read-string "Enter string:")) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ When prompted enter "%s" Now put whatever string you get in *Pp Eval Output* DIRECTLY in to your .emacs. See the attached snippet.el for an idea of what I get. Instead of passing env as part of the command, I think you can add this to your .emacs. (setenv "WINEPREFIX" "/home/AW/.wine-office") You can also do M-x setenv to set environment variables.