Hi Kyle, Thanks for taking the time to do a thorough review of the patch, I found your response (especially the many examples you included) to be very illuminating. I agree that relying more on display-buffer-based functions is good, but in retrospect I may have been over-eager, especially since reorganize-frame can't be switched over, and split-window-right might require writing a new action function. My main motivation was to use my own display-buffer configuration to show the source buffer. So I've rewritten the patch to be smaller and more conservative, just adding a "plain" option to org-src-window-setup, and not changing the implementation of any existing options. I think this is less likely to disrupt existing workflows or introduce accidental bugs. What do you think of using this smaller patch instead? As an aside, in case we do decide to re-implement some of the display options, now or in future, I did have a slight discrepancy from the behavior you describe for split-window-right: > Quickly testing, this has a slight change in behavior. If there is > already a window below the current Org buffer window, the new source > window will be popped up below the _other_ window rather than the Org > buffer. I think this could be fixed (and the code in general > simplified) by using display-buffer-below-selected. On my own system, the window pops up below the existing Org buffer, even if I have several existing horizontal splits. I'm not sure why.