From: "Sébastien Gendre" <seb@k-7.ch>
To: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Feature discussion: Search field and local search engine
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 06:00:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello every one,

* Context

At the beginning of September, I have started a discussion about adding
multiple new features to ox-html exporter. This discussion lead to also
discuss new features about org-mode itself.

To avoid the confusion of having multiples features discussed in the
same thread, following the suggestion of Ihor Radchenko, I will create a
separated thread for each discussed feature.

The original message can be found here:
https://list.orgmode.org/87frqbel30.fsf@localhost/

* Feature description and summary of previous discussion

The goal of this feature is to add, on a website generated with
org-publish, a local search engine.

The idea is to have a simple solution that can be easily enabled with an
org-publish option set to "t".

The search engine, it's search field and how the website is indexed is
gonna be implemented through a pluggable system. Like that, a user can
choose between different solutions. And if the chosen default solution
is no longer maintained, it's more easy to switch to another one.

The search field is gonna be included in a new section, present on each
web page. This section serve to website navigation, can be displayed at
top or side and will include:

- The exported website name and/or logo

- A website navigation menu (discussed in another thread I will create
  later)

- The search field

** Search engines

For now, the first search engine tested is PageFind:
https://pagefind.app/

Their was discussions about the risk of no longer maintained search
engine, that when Ihor Radchenko suggested the pluggable system.

* What's next on this feature ?

First, I opened this thread to discuss about how we want this search
engine feature to be.

In my next message of this thread, I will quotes remarks from Ihor
Radchenko, Max Nikulin and Orm Finnendahl to continue the discussion. I
will also include my replies.

When we have decided how this new feature should work, I will write some
patches to implement them. (I think I already sign the document for the
FSF).

Note that I'm on my last year as a student, so I'm may take some time to
reply to message and also write patches.

* And about the other features ?

How do you want to discuss the other features ?

One by one and only start to discuss the next one when the previous is
implemented ?

Or do you prefer I create new threads for each of themes in the next
days ?

Best regards

-------
Gendre Sébastien