* BUG: blank lines when cutting and pasting
@ 2008-01-09 16:07 Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2008-01-09 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Given the following top level heading

* test
** one
*** one.one

some text

** two
*** two.two

some text

** three
*** three.three

some text

If one goes to the beginning of heading ** two and use C-M-w to cut
the heading, the cut buffer starts with "\n\n** two", ie contains two
extra blank lines before the actual start of the heading.  It does
not matter if children are expanded or not.

If you paste that heading with C-M-y the extra blank line is inserted
before the heading.

IMHO if user cuts a heading, cut buffer should contain the text
starting with asterisk, without any extra new lines.

Regards,
  Max

* Re: BUG: blank lines when cutting and pasting
@ 2008-01-16 10:05 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-16 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Mikhanosha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Max

maybe you have sen the recent thread about the behavior of whitespace
when moving outline subtrees through the file.  It was my impression
that the conclusion was that the whitespace *before* the tree should
be moved with the tree.  Therefore I modified the cut and past of
subtrees to do just that.  I do agree that this feels a bit odd in
interactive use, and I certainly could make this configurable or so.

The alternative is that you develop the habit to move the cursor to the
first empty line after the subtree where you want to paste, not to
the beginning of the subtree before you want to paste.

This is an issue difficult to handle right.  I am inviting more
contributions
to this discussion!

- Carsten