* Command line tricks
@ 2008-08-06  8:37 Russell Adams
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-08-06  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

I've recently started using a few command line options with Org I
thought I'd share, perhaps they'll inspire someone else.

In my ~/.bashrc, I have defined an alias for Org that runs:

emacs -nw --funcall org-agenda-list

Which pulls up Org in the agenda view, which is where I wanted to be
in the first place!

I'm working away at latex, and I've divided up some of my files in
Org, and got tired to manually triggering the export to latex.

Instead now I have a makefile which runs:

emacs --eval '(setq enable-local-variables :all)' \
	  filename.org \
	  -f org-export-as-latex \
	  -f save-buffers-kill-emacs

This opens my Org file, exports it to latex, and quits. I'm very
pleased with the result, because the makefile next calls pdflatex to
PDF my document. The local variables override is because I set some
custom headers in the documents.

Enjoy!

* Re: Command line tricks
@ 2008-08-06 16:15 ` Peter Jones
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Jones @ 2008-08-06 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:
> I've recently started using a few command line options with Org I
> thought I'd share, perhaps they'll inspire someone else.

Awesome stuff Russell.  Thanks for sharing.

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com
pmade inc.  Louisville, CO US

* Re: Command line tricks
@ 2008-08-07  0:04 ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2008-08-07  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> I've recently started using a few command line options with Org I
> thought I'd share, perhaps they'll inspire someone else.
>
> In my ~/.bashrc, I have defined an alias for Org that runs:
[snip]

Thanks for sharing that!

alias todo="$EMACS -nw --funcall org-agenda-list"

And to not miss anything there is a cronjob:

$EMACS --batch \
    --load $HOME/.emacs.d/init.el \
    --load $HOME/.emacs.d/.gnus \
    --funcall org-mail >& $LOGFILE

Cheers,

Patrick
--
Admiration, n. Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to
ourselves.                                    -- Ambrose Bierce

* Re: Command line tricks
@ 2008-08-07 18:06 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-08-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great!

...and here is a little snippet, showing how I reuse files in several
projects:

        ("TWO-inherit"
         :base-directory "~/path/ONE/"
         :recursive t
         :base-extension "css\\|js"
         :publishing-directory "~/path/TWO/"
         :publishing-function org-publish-attachment)

        ("project-TWO-notes"
         :base-directory "~/path/TWO/"
         :auto-index t
         :index-filename "sitemap.org"
         :index-title "Sitemap"
         :recursive t
         :base-extension "org"
         :publishing-directory "~/htdocs/TWO/"
         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
         :headline-levels 3
         :auto-preamble t
         )

         ; ... etc. pp. ...

        ("project-TWO" :components ("TWO-inherit" "TWO-notes" "..."))

With this setup I only have to edit the *.css and *.js files in project
ONE, since TWO-inherit imports them.

If you use timestamps for publishing, it even works the other way around
too:

        ("ONE-inherit "
         :base-directory "~/path/TWO/"
         :recursive t
         :base-extension "css\\|js"
         :publishing-directory "~/path/ONE/"
         :publishing-function org-publish-attachment)

Now it doesn't matter anymore which stylesheet you change.

:-)

- Sebastian

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> I've recently started using a few command line options with Org I
> thought I'd share, perhaps they'll inspire someone else.
>
> In my ~/.bashrc, I have defined an alias for Org that runs:
>
> emacs -nw --funcall org-agenda-list
>
> Which pulls up Org in the agenda view, which is where I wanted to be
> in the first place!
>
> I'm working away at latex, and I've divided up some of my files in
> Org, and got tired to manually triggering the export to latex.
>
> Instead now I have a makefile which runs:
>
> emacs --eval '(setq enable-local-variables :all)' \
> 	  filename.org \
> 	  -f org-export-as-latex \
> 	  -f save-buffers-kill-emacs
>
> This opens my Org file, exports it to latex, and quits. I'm very
> pleased with the result, because the makefile next calls pdflatex to
> PDF my document. The local variables override is because I set some
> custom headers in the documents.
>
> Enjoy!

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

Sebastian Rose, Hannover, Germany
Phone: +49 173 83 93 417
Mail.: sebatian_rose@gmx.de, s.rose@emma-stil.de

* Re: Command line tricks
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-08-20 10:31 ` Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2008-08-20 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

    Russell> In my ~/.bashrc, I have defined an alias for Org that runs:

    Russell> emacs -nw --funcall org-agenda-list

    Russell> Which pulls up Org in the agenda view, which is where I
    Russell> wanted to be in the first place!

Hmm - is there any way to get the same functionality with emacsclient ?

I'd like to be able to set up a shell alias to pull up a new frame or
reuse the current one with the agenda listing in (and of course, to do
other cool stuff).

I have tried

  /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs-snapshot -f org-agenda-list

but it turns out -f isn't supported by emacsclient.

Pete

BTW - any of you using gnome-do ?  It is apparently based on
quicksilver. Because it remembers common keystrokes, if you regularly
use a particular command, say a bash script 'agenda', then running
something like

<super><space>ag

will run the shell script for you from anywhere. It is pretty cool. See

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GnomeDo

* Re: Command line tricks
@ 2008-08-20 11:24   ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2008-08-20 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Pete Phillips <pete@smtl.co.uk> writes:

>     Russell> In my ~/.bashrc, I have defined an alias for Org that runs:
>
>     Russell> emacs -nw --funcall org-agenda-list
>
>     Russell> Which pulls up Org in the agenda view, which is where I
>     Russell> wanted to be in the first place!
>
> Hmm - is there any way to get the same functionality with emacsclient ?

> I have tried
>
>   /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs-snapshot -f org-agenda-list
>
> but it turns out -f isn't supported by emacsclient.

how about: emacsclient -e "(org-agenda-list)"

or: gnuclient -f org-agenda-list

--
Dan Griswold