* Breaking line inside list item
@ 2020-06-29 12:31 Sébastien Miquel
From: Sébastien Miquel @ 2020-06-29 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Is there a binding or functionality to go from this, (where | is the
cursor position):

  - Cogito, |ergo sum.

To this:

  - Cogito,
    |ergo sum.

Pressing enter + tab (calls ~indent-for-tab-command~) doesn't work : the
line is indented to the dash instead. Although ~indent-for-tab-command~
does indent correctly when called in an empty line after a list item.

In the case of nested list, a way to cycle the indentation to that of
the main or inside list would also be nice.

* Re: Breaking line inside list item
@ 2020-06-29 12:34 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-06-29 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Miquel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> writes:

> Is there a binding or functionality to go from this, (where | is the
> cursor position):
>
>  - Cogito, |ergo sum.
>
> To this:
>
>  - Cogito,
>    |ergo sum.

There is RET or C-j, depending on your settings.

> In the case of nested list, a way to cycle the indentation to that of
> the main or inside list would also be nice.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Breaking line inside list item
@ 2020-06-29 12:55   ` Sébastien Miquel
From: Sébastien Miquel @ 2020-06-29 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> There is RET or C-j, depending on your settings.

C-j (~org-return-indent~) does work, thank you.

> I'm not sure what you mean here.
>
> Regards,

I meant to go from

  - Cogito,
    - ergo
      sum

  - Cogito,
    - ergo
    sum

But I don't really care about that use case anyway.

@ 2020-06-29 14:14     ` Kévin Le Gouguec
From: Kévin Le Gouguec @ 2020-06-29 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Miquel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> writes:

>> There is RET or C-j, depending on your settings.
>
> C-j (~org-return-indent~) does work, thank you.

Just a heads-up: the next version of org-mode (9.4) will obey
electric-indent-mode, which is a global minor mode that is turned on by
default.

When this mode is enabled, RET means "smart return", i.e. "newline &
indent", while C-j means "just newline".  This is how things work in
most modes (except Org) since Emacs 24.4.

When org-mode 9.4 is released, you can either use RET instead of C-j, or
disable electric-indent-mode in org-mode-hook, as will be explained in
ORG-NEWS.

* Re: Breaking line inside list item
@ 2020-06-29 18:39     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-06-29 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Miquel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> writes:

> I meant to go from
>
>  - Cogito,
>    - ergo
>      sum

>  - Cogito,
>    - ergo
>    sum

Structurally, this is weird. You are splitting a paragraph in two parts,
and sending the latter one into another item.

I think you can use regular Emacs commands, e.g., M-m M-SPC TAB.