* TMIO July Post: Introducing Citations
@ 2021-08-01 20:29 Timothy
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Timothy @ 2021-08-01 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know that on my blog TMIO (This Month In Org) I've just
published the July post. I've decided to focus entirely on citations
this time :)

Should this be of interest, here it is:
https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-07-31-citations.html

Enjoy!

--
Timothy

* Re: TMIO July Post: Introducing Citations
@ 2021-08-02  7:08 ` tomas
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: tomas @ 2021-08-02  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Aug 02, 2021 at 04:29:09AM +0800, Timothy wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just letting you know that on my blog TMIO (This Month In Org) I've just
> published the July post. I've decided to focus entirely on citations
> this time :)
>
> Should this be of interest, here it is:
> https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-07-31-citations.html

Wow. Thanks!

(Note that I'm not the target audience of this feature, but I'm
nevertheless enjoying thoroughly your blog post!)

Cheers
 - t

* Re: TMIO July Post: Introducing Citations
@ 2021-08-02  7:23 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-08-02  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Timothy,

Timothy writes:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just letting you know that on my blog TMIO (This Month In Org) I've just
> published the July post. I've decided to focus entirely on citations
> this time :)
>
> Should this be of interest, here it is:
> https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-07-31-citations.html

Thank you very much for this comprehensive and very useful post: the
best way to start my summer vacation! :-)

And many thanks to those who have developed this interesting and
promising new Org feature.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: TMIO July Post: Introducing Citations
@ 2021-08-02  7:54 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-08-02  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello Timothy,

    > Hi Everyone, Just letting you know that on my blog TMIO (This
    > Month In Org) I've just published the July post. I've decided to
    > focus entirely on citations this time :)

    > Should this be of interest, here it is:
    > https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-07-31-citations.html

Nice work. For me, however, I'm still at a loss, although I confess I've
not kept up to-date with the org citation developments.

1. I don't understand the relation between the new cite syntax and the old
org-mode [[ bib:key ]]. Perhaps there isn't one.

2. How is an =org-link-abbrev-alist= related to a global and/or local
#+bibliography:? Even if I remove reference to my =org-link-abbrev-alist=
the org-export (to pdf) still does not find a different local bibliography
file. (I have org-cite-global-bibliography set to nil.)

I think I need to read the manual!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for this new org citation.

Best wishes,

Colin.

* Re: TMIO July Post: Introducing Citations
@ 2021-08-02  7:59   ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-08-02  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi Colin,

> Nice work. For me, however, I’m still at a loss, although I confess I’ve
> not kept up to-date with the org citation developments.
>
> 1. I don’t understand the relation between the new cite syntax and the old
> org-mode . Perhaps there isn’t one.
>
> 2. How is an `org-link-abbrev-alist' related to a global and/or local
> #+bibliography:? Even if I remove reference to my `org-link-abbrev-alist'
> the org-export (to pdf) still does not find a different local bibliography
> file. (I have org-cite-global-bibliography set to nil.)

I think the confusion you have lies in the similarity between the link syntax
and cite syntax — the new `[cite:@key]' citations are *not* links.
Hopefully that makes them a this a bit clearer :)

All the best,

@ 2021-08-02  8:14     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-08-02  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: org-mode-email

    > Hi Colin,
    >> Nice work. For me, however, I’m still at a loss, although I
    >> confess I’ve not kept up to-date with the org citation
    >> developments.
    >>
    >> 1. I don’t understand the relation between the new cite syntax
    >> and the old org-mode . Perhaps there isn’t one.
    >>
    >> 2. How is an `org-link-abbrev-alist' related to a global and/or
    >> local #+bibliography:? Even if I remove reference to my
    >> `org-link-abbrev-alist' the org-export (to pdf) still does not
    >> find a different local bibliography file. (I have
    >> org-cite-global-bibliography set to nil.)

    > I think the confusion you have lies in the similarity between the
    > link syntax and cite syntax — the new `[cite:@key]' citations are
    > *not* links.  Hopefully that makes them a this a bit clearer :)

Ah! Now that's helpful - thanks.

* Re: TMIO July Post: Introducing Citations
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-08-02 10:35 ` Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2021-08-02 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy, org-mode-email

Does anyone know when this might land in Emacs’ master branch?

R+

--
Logic is a science of the necessary laws of thought, without which
no employment of the understanding and the reason takes place. --

* Re: TMIO July Post: Introducing Citations
@ 2021-08-03 10:10   ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2021-08-03 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič; +Cc: org-mode-email, Timothy

Most of the functionality described in the piece is already in the
master branch.

best regards,
András

@ 2021-08-03 10:23     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-08-03 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi; +Cc: org-mode-email, Rudolf Adamkovič, Timothy

On Tuesday,  3 Aug 2021 at 12:10, András Simonyi wrote:
> Most of the functionality described in the piece is already in the
> master branch.

No, not quite.  These latest updates are in the master branch of org
mode but they have not yet been incorporate into the master branch of
Emacs itself.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-607-g185706
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096

* Re: TMIO July Post: Introducing Citations
@ 2021-08-03 10:38       ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2021-08-03 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, Timothy

Absolutely, thanks for the correction -- I meant Org's master, even
though the question was clearly about Emacs's.
best regards,
András