* move org item
@ 2008-07-28  3:29 Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-07-28  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Sorry, but I cant see it in the manual (rubs eyes) but is it possible to
move an item(s) from one org type/file to another file?

e.g I have something in my generals "tasks" file and then want to refile
it in my "emacs" org file.

I realise I can refile to another category in the same file using C-c
C-w (org-refile).

regards

r.

* Re: move org item
@ 2008-07-28  3:52 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-07-28  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> Sorry, but I cant see it in the manual (rubs eyes) but is it possible to
> move an item(s) from one org type/file to another file?
>
> e.g I have something in my generals "tasks" file and then want to refile
> it in my "emacs" org file.
>
> I realise I can refile to another category in the same file using C-c
> C-w (org-refile).

I tend to just fold the task, cut it, and paste it in the other file
... followed by refiling it if necessary to the 'right' place in the new
file.  Maybe there's an easier way I'm unaware of.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: move org item
@ 2008-07-28  4:12   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-07-28  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: org-mode, Richard G Riley

  On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
  > Richard G Riley writes:
  >
  >> Sorry, but I cant see it in the manual (rubs eyes) but is it
  >> possible to move an item(s) from one org type/file to another file?
  >>
  >> e.g I have something in my generals "tasks" file and then want to
  >> refile it in my "emacs" org file.
  >>
  >> I realise I can refile to another category in the same file using
  >> C-c C-w (org-refile).
  >>
  > I tend to just fold the task, cut it, and paste it in the other file
  > ... followed by refiling it if necessary to the 'right' place in the
  > new file.  Maybe there's an easier way I'm unaware of.

This troubled me a lot as well but I have found following setting to
be of good use:

  (setq org-refile-targets (quote ((org-agenda-files :regexp . "*"))))

-- Manish

* Re: Re: move org item
@ 2008-07-28 13:26     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-07-28 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: org-mode, Richard G Riley

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>   On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>   > Richard G Riley writes:
>   >
>   >> Sorry, but I cant see it in the manual (rubs eyes) but is it
>   >> possible to move an item(s) from one org type/file to another file?
>   >>
>   >> e.g I have something in my generals "tasks" file and then want to
>   >> refile it in my "emacs" org file.
>   >>
>   >> I realise I can refile to another category in the same file using
>   >> C-c C-w (org-refile).
>   >>
>   > I tend to just fold the task, cut it, and paste it in the other file
>   > ... followed by refiling it if necessary to the 'right' place in the
>   > new file.  Maybe there's an easier way I'm unaware of.
>
> This troubled me a lot as well but I have found following setting to
> be of good use:
>
>   (setq org-refile-targets (quote ((org-agenda-files :regexp . "*"))))

Cool!  Thanks for letting me know about this.  I have way too many
targets to use your setting but this works great for me:

(setq org-refile-targets (quote ((org-agenda-files :level . 1))))

-Bernt

* Re: Re: move org item
@ 2008-07-28 13:48       ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-07-28 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: org-mode, Richard G Riley

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>   On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>>   > Richard G Riley writes:
>>   >
>>   >> Sorry, but I cant see it in the manual (rubs eyes) but is it
>>   >> possible to move an item(s) from one org type/file to another file?
>>   >>
>>   >> e.g I have something in my generals "tasks" file and then want to
>>   >> refile it in my "emacs" org file.
>>   >>
>>   >> I realise I can refile to another category in the same file using
>>   >> C-c C-w (org-refile).
>>   >>
>>   > I tend to just fold the task, cut it, and paste it in the other file
>>   > ... followed by refiling it if necessary to the 'right' place in the
>>   > new file.  Maybe there's an easier way I'm unaware of.
>>
>> This troubled me a lot as well but I have found following setting to
>> be of good use:
>>
>>   (setq org-refile-targets (quote ((org-agenda-files :regexp . "*"))))
>
> Cool!  Thanks for letting me know about this.  I have way too many
> targets to use your setting but this works great for me:
>
> (setq org-refile-targets (quote ((org-agenda-files :level . 1))))
>
> -Bernt

Great stuff guys. I dont think I'll ever be a lisp programmer - I looked
at the doc string and it flew over my head on how to reduce the number
of targets. Mind you, it was at 5am or so :-( This is exactly what I
wanted!

* Re: Re: move org item
@ 2008-07-29  0:18         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-29  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, org-mode

On Jul 28, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Richard G Riley wrote:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>>> This troubled me a lot as well but I have found following setting to
>>> be of good use:
>>>
>>>  (setq org-refile-targets (quote ((org-agenda-files :regexp .
>>> "*"))))
>>
>> Cool!  Thanks for letting me know about this.  I have way too many
>> targets to use your setting but this works great for me:
>>
>> (setq org-refile-targets (quote ((org-agenda-files :level . 1))))
>>
>> -Bernt
>
> Great stuff guys. I dont think I'll ever be a lisp programmer - I
> looked
> at the doc string and it flew over my head on how to reduce the number
> of targets. Mind you, it was at 5am or so :-( This is exactly what I
> wanted!

Customize is your friend.

     M-x customize-variable RET org-refile-targets RET

If you hae trouble to understand from the docstring how a variable
should be customized, the customize interface ofives you a different
angle.  Once you have se the variable with customize, look at the value
with `C-h v' - maybe then you understand the lisp structure better so
that next time, you may used it!?

HTH

- Carsten