* Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-02-12 16:13 Christine Köhn
From: Christine Köhn @ 2021-02-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I always used the manual online as one html page but it does not seem to
be available since (?) the website revamp. I prefer the manual as one
page for many reasons. Is it still available online?

Best,
Christine

* Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-02-12 16:24 ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-02-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Köhn; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Christine,

I found it here: https://orgmode.org/org.html

But it doesn't seem to be linked from the new website.

--Diego

@ 2021-02-12 16:43   ` Christine Köhn
From: Christine Köhn @ 2021-02-12 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Diego, hi all,

Diego Zamboni writes:

> I found it here: https://orgmode.org/org.html

Thanks a lot. I've just bookmarked it.

> But it doesn't seem to be linked from the new website.

Has there been a discussion about what manual to link to from the front
page?

As far as I can remember, I've always prefered the complete manual -
even as a new org-mode user.

Best,
Christine

* Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-02-15 22:45 ` Nick Dokos
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2021-02-15 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christine Köhn <christine@chark.eu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I always used the manual online as one html page but it does not seem to
> be available since (?) the website revamp. I prefer the manual as one
> page for many reasons. Is it still available online?

I've always used the one-page per section version on the web (although
I tend to use Info much more often), primarily because I thought that
downloading the whole manual to just look at a section or two or five
would be inefficient - in fact, I've wondered why the single-page
versions of various manuals (particularly the larger ones: emacs and
elisp) are made available. So it is idle curiosity on my part, but
what are the the reasons for your preference?

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-02-16  9:22   ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-02-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: Org-mode

I'm not the OP, but I find the one-page manual useful when I'm not sure
what I'm looking for or where in the manual it might be, makes it easier to
search through the whole document iteratively.

--Diego

@ 2021-02-16  9:37   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-02-16  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2021-02-15, at 23:45, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Christine Köhn <christine@chark.eu> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I always used the manual online as one html page but it does not seem to
>> be available since (?) the website revamp. I prefer the manual as one
>> page for many reasons. Is it still available online?
>>

> I've always used the one-page per section version on the web (although
> I tend to use Info much more often), primarily because I thought that
> downloading the whole manual to just look at a section or two or five
> would be inefficient - in fact, I've wondered why the single-page
> versions of various manuals (particularly the larger ones: emacs and
> elisp) are made available. So it is idle curiosity on my part, but
> what are the the reasons for your preference?

Converting to an ebook format to read on an ebook reader is one possible
use-case.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-02-16 12:49     ` Devin Prater
From: Devin Prater @ 2021-02-16 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I like it when I just want to read through the whole document with my screen reader, not having to page through it. I also like being able to search the whole document. And, converting it to EPUB allows me to read it on my phone when I'm away from the computer, if I want to.

--
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater@gmail.com

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-03-21  8:54   ` Christine Köhn
From: Christine Köhn @ 2021-03-21  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Here's why I prefer the one page manual:

I can search it easily. Sometimes I do not find what I'm looking for
where I would expect it to be. Also, searching is convenient way to find
out if something *is not* in the manual.

I'm used to reading and searching in a browser.

For me, it's easier to read a whole chapter/section if I just have to
scroll down. Especially if I only do cursory reading, e.g if I read
about spreadsheets after not having used them in a while. If I can just
scroll down, it's also easier to read on my smartphone (I'd like not to
do that but in the pandemic some things cannot be chosen).

I agree that it's not efficient to download a whole manual but I guess
that's what caching is for? Anyway, I thought about switching to
accessing the manual offline but I haven't gotten to it yet.

* Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-03-21 14:48     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2021-03-21 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 09:54:48AM +0100, Christine Köhn wrote:
> Here's why I prefer the one page manual:
>
> I can search it easily. Sometimes I do not find what I'm looking for
> where I would expect it to be. Also, searching is convenient way to find
> out if something *is not* in the manual.
>
> I'm used to reading and searching in a browser.

Searching and saving are both effective use cases.

> I agree that it's not efficient to download a whole manual but I guess
> that's what caching is for? Anyway, I thought about switching to
> accessing the manual offline but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I disagree. With transparent gzip compression its a few hundred K,
less than all the Javascript libraries that load when you open most
popular websites.

You are also less likely to reopen it repeatedly or reload it.

Perhaps the main link can goto a sectioned manual, but I'd like to see
a link to the one page manual preserved.