Hi Nicolas, > At this point, I don’t have enough understanding of the problem to have > an opinion. IIUC, your example does not even mention citations. How > should it be used, what should be the output in LaTeX, and in UTF-8 > export? This is not clear to me. > > What can I say however is: if this feature implies to change, or extend, > syntax, then it is /de facto/ a blocker for the merge, and needs to be > sorted out. This very much depends on how you view references vs citations. I personally think of references as in-text citations (i.e. you’re citing other bits of the very same document), but I doubt this is a common view (as suggested by other replies). To try to lay out what one may expect with references, I’d think some support in Org (without org-ref et. al) would be good (at least for exporting) — but I’m not sure what a good for would be. I think it could be treated similarly to citations, given a variant syntax like [] or even just be added as a way of exporting links to named figures/tables (i.e. ). It’s a bit late to bring this up, but in case this should come under the citation umbrella I thought I should. Lastly, an example of what I’d expect when exporting to ascii (with three example syntaxes): ┌──── │ #+name: sometab │ #+caption: Some table │ | a | b | │ | c | d | │ │ Hey, look at [[sometab]]. (or) │ Hey, look at [cite:#sometab]. (or) │ Hey, look at [ref:sometab]. └──── ┌──── │ ━━━━━━ │ a b │ c d │ ━━━━━━ │ Table 1: Some table │ │ Hey, look at Table 1. └──── I hope this clears up what I was thinking. All the best, *Timothy*