* unfolding is delayed in relatively small file
@ 2022-07-05 13:29 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2022-07-05 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi everyone,

I just updated to recent main branch of org-mode with the new org folding
engine. My emacs is from git, but somewhat out of date (2022-05-08).

WIth a relatively small test file, I find that folding and unfolding a
subtree with children does not cause a redisplay unless I alt-tab away from
my Emacs window and then alt-tab back.  "FOLDED" or "SUBTREE NO CHILDREN"
will echo in the message area, but the state of hte buffer won't change
until I switch focus.

I haven't done any extensive testing yet, and have many third party
packages installed. I've also just now noticed that this behaviour is
somewhat intermittent, and somehow I managed to make it stop briefly in
my   MWE, but I don't seem to be able to trigger the shift back to normal
behaviour in a "real" org file.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and what you've done to fix it!

Thanks,
Matt

MWE:

* fold me

some text
** some more text
let's see what's happening.
** test again

* Re: unfolding is delayed in relatively small file
@ 2022-07-05 13:55 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-07-05 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I just updated to recent main branch of org-mode with the new org folding
> engine. My emacs is from git, but somewhat out of date (2022-05-08).
>
> WIth a relatively small test file, I find that folding and unfolding a
> subtree with children does not cause a redisplay unless I alt-tab away from
> my Emacs window and then alt-tab back.  "FOLDED" or "SUBTREE NO CHILDREN"
> will echo in the message area, but the state of hte buffer won't change
> until I switch focus.

I am unable to reproduce. However, I did see some issues with slowness
in Org using Emacs master. Not the same though.

> I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and what you've done to fix it!

Sometimes, simply updating Emacs to the latest commit helps. This is the
nature of tracking the dev branch.

Best,
Ihor