Confirmed, this is indeed strange behaviour, I think a bug. It happens because Org supports both letter/number references to cells (like A7, or in your case r1) and also Org's default representation, something like @7$1 (equivalent to A7) or @1$18 (equivalent to r1). Wherever appropriate, it converts A7-like references to @7$1-like references. See more in (info "(org) References") , and specifically the "Named references" section. You can evaluate that info sexp, or find it in section 3.5.1 otherwise :). It seems like a mistake to convert such a cell reference in the '$PROP_x' case. The conversion is done by 'org-table-convert-refs-to-rc', which is done before 'org-table-formula-substitute-names' is called. Simply changing the order will not work, since the property value might also be a letter/number-like reference. My added patch fixes this by not replacing such a representation when it is preceded by '$PROP_'. I have two questions about it: - The function '$PROP_