* "DONE" all subtasks recursively
@ 2011-07-18 18:30 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-07-18 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey guys

If I have a headline with children, like this:

* Project
** TODO Task
** TODO Task
** SubProject
*** TODO Task
*** TODO Task

Does org have any functionality that allows me to automatically close
(Change TODO->DONE, put DONE when TODO is not available (in the case of
Projects)) automatically and recursively for each child if I close the main
parent headline?

Thanks in advance,

- Marcelo.

* Re: "DONE" all subtasks recursively
@ 2011-07-20 15:41 ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-07-20 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

*bump*

Hey guys, if someone could guide me a hint on where I should look to hack
some elisp code in order to do that, I'd be grateful ;)

Cheers,

Marcelo.

@ 2011-07-21  8:49   ` Aankhen
From: Aankhen @ 2011-07-21  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Marcelo,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 21:11, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> *bump*
> Hey guys, if someone could guide me a hint on where I should look to hack
> some elisp code in order to do that, I'd be grateful ;)
> Cheers,
> Marcelo.
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
> <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey guys
>> If I have a headline with children, like this:
>> * Project
>> ** TODO Task
>> ** TODO Task
>> ** SubProject
>> *** TODO Task
>> *** TODO Task
>> Does org have any functionality that allows me to automatically close
>> (Change TODO->DONE, put DONE when TODO is not available (in the case of
>> Projects)) automatically and recursively for each child if I close the main
>> parent headline?

You can use ‘org-map-region’ to call a function on every headline in a
region. ‘org-end-of-subtree’ will move point to… well, the end of the
current subtree.  Finally, ‘org-todo’ is what changes the todo state
of the headline containing point.

Add your custom function to either
‘org-after-todo-state-change-hook’[1] or ‘org-trigger-hook’.[2] (I’m
not sure what the difference is.)

Happy hacking!
Aankhen

[1]: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-hooks.html#sec-1_13
[2]: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-hooks.html#sec-1_15

* Re: "DONE" all subtasks recursively
@ 2011-07-22  2:59   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-07-22  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> *bump*
>
> Hey guys, if someone could guide me a hint on where I should look to
> hack some elisp code in order to do that, I'd be grateful ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marcelo.

(defun bh/mark-subtree-done ()
  (interactive)
  (org-mark-subtree)
  (let ((limit (point)))
    (save-excursion
      (exchange-point-and-mark)
      (while (> (point) limit)
	(org-todo "DONE")
	(outline-previous-visible-heading 1))
      (org-todo "DONE"))))

Then M-x bh/mark-subtree-done.

This relies on the subtasks all being visible.  You can enhance it so it
handles folded tasks if needed.

-Bernt

--
Bernt

* Re: "DONE" all subtasks recursively
@ 2011-07-22 13:52     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-22 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Hi Bernt,

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> (defun bh/mark-subtree-done ()
>   (interactive)
>   (org-mark-subtree)
>   (let ((limit (point)))
>     (save-excursion
>       (exchange-point-and-mark)
>       (while (> (point) limit)
> 	(org-todo "DONE")
> 	(outline-previous-visible-heading 1))
>       (org-todo "DONE"))))
>
> Then M-x bh/mark-subtree-done.

Thanks for this -- I added an entry in Worg/org-hacks.html

Best,

--
 Bastien