Hi Gustav, Thanks for the patch! I am a heavy user of org attachments, so it is pleasant that someone spent a time to implement this useful feature into org. A comment regarding the code. Your new link types appears to reimplement some of the code for the "file:" links. Would it make more sense to implement the "attachment:" link type as abbreviation? I mean something like the code below: ```` (defun yant/process-att-abbrev (arg) "Return `org-attach-dir' for the current entry." (s-concat (org-attach-dir 'CREATE) arg)) (add-to-list 'org-link-abbrev-alist (cons "att" "file:%(yant/process-att-abbrev)")) (defun org-att-link-complete (&optional arg) "Completion function for att: link." (let* ((ref-dir (org-attach-dir 'CREATE)) (filelink (let ((default-directory ref-dir)) (org-file-complete-link))) (filepath (apply #'s-concat (cdr (s-split ":" filelink))))) (format "att:%s" filepath))) (org-link-set-parameters "att" :complete #'org-att-link-complete) ```` Also, is anyone interested in automatic placing of org attachments into a folder structure, which mirrors the org path? Something like in the following Stack Exchange question: https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/26412/human-readable-directory-tree-with-org-attach Best, Ihor Gustav Wikström writes: > Hi Marco, > > Nice to hear you like it! Yeah, I'm pretty happy with that functionality as well. Use it all the time to quickly add links to attached files. > > One use case I have for this (as an example) is for projects and tasks. I have a 'tasks.org' file with nodes for each of my tasks and each of my projects. Usually, if the task is about some digital work, there are files involved with it. So I have a convention to add folders next to the 'tasks.org' file with names like 'YYMM [task/project title]', and attach the folder to each task/project node. C-c C-l attached RET then makes it super-easy to refer to particular files within that folder, from within the node in the 'tasks.org' file! > > Another use case is for my 'digital brain', where it's also fairly common for me to have attachment folders where I want to refer to files within them. Images for example, that then will be displayed in the org-mode file. Haven't settled on whether I should use auto-managed ID's for these folders, or :ATTACH_DIR: properties though. Currently using a bit of both... > > I'm not familiar with the 'next' branch and the plans for integrating it into 'master'. But if 'master' is to offensive to merge into straight away, 'next' sounds like a good option! > > Kind regards > Gustav > > -----Original Message----- > From: Marco Wahl > Sent: den 1 november 2018 17:01 > To: Gustav Wikström > Subject: Re: FW: [RFC] Link-type for attachments, more attach options > > The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has been posted to gmane.emacs.orgmode as well. > > Hi Gustav, > > I played a bit with your proposition. I like it; in particular the completion function to insert links from the attachment directory with > > C-c C-l attached RET > > It seems natural to me to have a more specific link type for attached files. > > In my opinion your patch should be applied to the 'next' branch. > > > My 2ct, > Marco >