Adam Porter writes: > There is no built-in way to do that, and no way independent of > org-export to get the numbers, AFAIK. > > Here's some ugly old code that shows outline numbering as overlays in an > Org buffer. It doesn't update automatically, so you have to run it > again when the outline changes. But it seems to work well. It uses > dash.el and let-alist, in case you don't have them loaded. Please do disregard that monstrosity. I rewrote it in a much simpler way. It seems fast on a reasonably large Org buffer. It doesn't account for org-indent-mode or org-bullets, but that wouldn't be too hard to fix, I think. No third-party packages are required. See attached file, or .