* LaTeX export failure
@ 2020-01-29 20:31 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2020-01-29 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

Happy New Year!

Returning to a writing project after a few months absence, I'm no
longer able to export the writing project subtree.  Here is what I
find in *Messages*:

  Wrote /home/dk/Projects/historical-inference/r14c.org
  executing Shell code block...
  Wrote /tmp/babel-j0SOWm/ob-input-aS23DO
  Code block evaluation complete.
  match-string-no-properties: Args out of range: #<killed buffer>,
  3, 11

The writing project exported without issue on November 7, 2019.

I'm typically using up-to-date org-plus-contrib from Elpa, so
suspect my issue is due to a recent change in Org mode.

I don't know how to track down the problem.  Any ideas?

All the best,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye
https://tsdye.online/tsdye

* Re: LaTeX export failure
@ 2020-01-29 23:02 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2020-01-29 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 2:32 PM Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.online> wrote:

> Happy New Year!
>
> Returning to a writing project after a few months absence, I'm no
> longer able to export the writing project subtree.  Here is what I
> find in *Messages*:
>
>   Wrote /home/dk/Projects/historical-inference/r14c.org
>   executing Shell code block...
>   Wrote /tmp/babel-j0SOWm/ob-input-aS23DO
>   Code block evaluation complete.
>   match-string-no-properties: Args out of range: #<killed buffer>,
>   3, 11

Are you able to share a portion of this? Or have you tried, say,
creating a copy of the file and removing all but the first heading and
a sentence to see if it fails?

Someone else might recognize that particular failure from past
experience, but I'd have to try something locally. In the past to
debug I've moved all headings after the first under a new one, marked
that as :noexport:, and exported iteratively, moving each one out of
the :noexport: heading until I find the offending one. Then I can hone
in on where I should be looking.

John

> The writing project exported without issue on November 7, 2019.
>
> I'm typically using up-to-date org-plus-contrib from Elpa, so
> suspect my issue is due to a recent change in Org mode.
>
> I don't know how to track down the problem.  Any ideas?
>
> All the best,
> Tom
> --
> Thomas S. Dye
> https://tsdye.online/tsdye

* Re: LaTeX export failure
@ 2020-01-30  1:22   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2020-01-30  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-org list, Thomas S. Dye

Thanks John,

IIRC, this isn't the first time you've recommended that I divide
and conquer :)

Here is the offending bit, which worked fine last November but
fails today:

 #+caption: Compare figure\nbsp{}[[fig:mqs3_op]].

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
https://tsdye.online/tsdye

* Re: LaTeX export failure
@ 2020-01-30  6:53     ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2020-01-30  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Wednesday, 29 Jan 2020 at 15:22, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Here is the offending bit, which worked fine last November but
> fails today:
>
>  #+caption: Compare figure\nbsp{}[[fig:mqs3_op]].

This works fine for me.  Sorry; that probably doesn't help you
much... :-(

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.1-94-g0ac6a9

* Re: LaTeX export failure
@ 2020-01-30  8:05       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2020-01-30  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: emacs-org list, Thomas S. Dye

Thanks Eric,

Good to know.  I'll try to track down the issue when I find time.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
https://tsdye.online/tsdye

* Re: LaTeX export failure
@ 2020-02-03 18:40         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2020-02-03 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.online> writes:

> Thanks Eric,
>
> Good to know.  I'll try to track down the issue when I find time.
>
> All the best,
> Tom
>
> Fraga, Eric writes:
>
>> On Wednesday, 29 Jan 2020 at 15:22, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>>> Here is the offending bit, which worked fine last November but
>>> fails today:
>>>
>>>  #+caption: Compare figure\nbsp{}[[fig:mqs3_op]].
>>
>> This works fine for me.  Sorry; that probably doesn't help you
>> much... :-(
>

> --
> Thomas S. Dye
> https://tsdye.online/tsdye

If you have not tried it already, M-x toggle-debug-on-error and
retrying the export should give a backtrace, which should help guide
further investigation. It should work even if you do the export in
batch mode (the backtrace should appear on stderr, I think), but if
you can do it interactively and with uncompiled code (C-u M-x
org-reload IIRC), that would be best.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler