* headlines in HTML
@ 2011-01-23 21:30 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-23 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use HTML for Blogger.  My org headers rely on H levels.
One of my posts actually has 4 levels of org hierarchy,
including title.

You might laugh at that much hierarchy, but most of you are
nerds, so I hope you understand.  :) Posts sometimes
naturally have that much hierarchy and it feels silly to
remove cues.

Browsers don't distinguish the headline levels enough, in my
experience.

I have a lot of headlines so that the reader doesn't get
lost in the middle of a wall of text.  Some of my audience
is very, very intelligent and has cognitive issues like
short-term memory, concentration, etc.

Therefore, hierarchy is both useful and necessary to distinguish clearly.

===

I could use "-----" for the lowest level, just as I used
"===" above, but I don't think that was meant for the lowest
level, as it extends to the entire width.  Also, it seems
nicer to have a label to orient the reader in a lot of
cases.

Something to take the place of my plain text "===" would be
very useful, but probably not sufficient.  I realize I can
do something like centering a string like "---".

Bullet lists would be silly in this case, as it's just
normal text and the reader will wonder why some things are
indented and others not.

I don't want to go to numbered sections.

===

Maybe we could somehow skip H levels, so it goes H3 for
title, then H5, H7, H9.  But browsers might not understand
such low level headlines.

Maybe I could have other attributes to set, like centering
and large non-bold, for specific levels.  So, say, top is
large bold centered, then large non-bold centered, then
smaller bold, then smaller non-bold.

Can things like that be done in org?

I don't know if CSS is possible or easy in Blogger,
especially for specific posts.

Maybe some of you have ideas.

Thanks.

Samuel

I support WPI: http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/index.html -- PLEASE DONATE
===
I want to see the original (pre-hold) Lo et al. 2010 NIH/FDA/Harvard MLV paper.

* Re: headlines in HTML
@ 2011-01-25 17:27 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-25 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am still very curious about what other orgers (orgsters?
organizers?) do for this.

Do you just do this every time you want a within-headline section?

#+begin_center
---
#+end_center

That is strangely longer than "-----", which I take to be a
higher-level section divider than headlines because it extends all the
way across the page.

More importantly (because I know of no solution yet) how do you get
the headline levels to be more distinct?

Thanks.

Samuel

@ 2011-01-30 15:52 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2011-01-30 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:30:00 -0700,
Samuel Wales wrote:
> Maybe we could somehow skip H levels, so it goes H3 for
> title, then H5, H7, H9.  But browsers might not understand
> such low level headlines.
>
> Maybe I could have other attributes to set, like centering
> and large non-bold, for specific levels.  So, say, top is
> large bold centered, then large non-bold centered, then
> smaller bold, then smaller non-bold.
>
> Can things like that be done in org?
>
> I don't know if CSS is possible or easy in Blogger,
> especially for specific posts.

Okay, if I understood you correctly you use headlines to give a blog
post a structure and you are concerned with the appearance of the blog
entry when displayed by a reader's browser.  If this is the case, then
using CSS is the solution.

Cf. http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=41954

Best,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: headlines in HTML
@ 2011-01-30 20:07   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-30 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David,

Very interesting, thank you.

Is it possible to style Blogger's post titles this way (i.e. in a
permanent way) too?

Samuel

--
The Kafka Pandemic: