* Active timestamp drawer with inactive creation-date
@ 2013-03-12 12:56 Alexander Poslavsky
From: Alexander Poslavsky @ 2013-03-12 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

Hi!

I actively use timestamps to plan my day. When I have a task, I add a time-stamp to it with "C-." Then I plan the task, for example, for tomorrow. I end up with:

** important task <2013-03-13 Wed>
   :PROPERTIES:
   :CREATED:  <2013-03-12 Tue 13:52>
   :END:

The property drawer has an active time-stamp, which in turn appears in my agenda. What I want to end up is, an inactive time-stamp in the drawer:

** important task <2013-03-13 Wed>
   :PROPERTIES:
   :CREATED:  [2013-03-12 Tue 13:52]
   :END:

At the moment I change it by hand, but laziness is the key to progress, so: how do I do this?

Thanks, Alex

* Re: Active timestamp drawer with inactive creation-date
@ 2013-03-12 14:33 ` Michael Strey
From: Michael Strey @ 2013-03-12 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Alex,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:56:06PM +0100, Alexander Poslavsky wrote:

> I actively use timestamps to plan my day. When I have a task, I add a time-stamp to it with "C-." Then I plan the task, for example, for tomorrow. I end up with:
>
> ** important task <2013-03-13 Wed>
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :CREATED:  <2013-03-12 Tue 13:52>
>    :END:

How do you create the :CREATED: property with the active timestamp?

Regards
--
Michael Strey
www.strey.biz

* Re: Active timestamp drawer with inactive creation-date
@ 2013-03-13  9:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-13  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Poslavsky; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Poslavsky <alexander.poslavsky@gmail.com> writes:

> ** important task <2013-03-13 Wed>
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :CREATED:  <2013-03-12 Tue 13:52>
>    :END:
>
> The property drawer has an active time-stamp, which in turn appears
> in my agenda. What I want to end up is, an inactive time-stamp in
> the drawer:
>
> ** important task <2013-03-13 Wed>
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :CREATED:  [2013-03-12 Tue 13:52]
>    :END:
>
> At the moment I change it by hand, but laziness is the key to
> progress, so: how do I do this?

I think you want this: (setq org-expiry-inactive-timestamps t)

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Active timestamp drawer with inactive creation-date
@ 2013-03-13  9:05   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-13  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Strey; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

Michael Strey <mstrey@strey.biz> writes:

> How do you create the :CREATED: property with the active timestamp?

Alexander must be using org-expiry.el from the contrib/ directory.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Active timestamp drawer with inactive creation-date
@ 2013-03-13  9:38   ` Michael Strey
From: Michael Strey @ 2013-03-13  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Alexander Poslavsky

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:04:52AM +0100, Bastien wrote:

[...]

> I think you want this: (setq org-expiry-inactive-timestamps t)

Thank you for the hint to org-expiry, Bastien.

Maybe this link is helpful as well:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12262220/add-created-date-property-to-todos-in-org-mode

--
Michael Strey
www.strey.biz

* Re: Active timestamp drawer with inactive creation-date
@ 2013-03-13  9:53     ` Alexander Poslavsky
From: Alexander Poslavsky @ 2013-03-13  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

Thank you all!

(setq org-expiry-inactive-timestamps t)

was the key.

I will do some more reading this weekend, but for now everything works as expected (again). Thanks for the answers, the stackoverflow link, and the Heinlein.