* how to make relative file links?
@ 2013-11-05 22:09 David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2013-11-05 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

i've just noticed one annoying thing. When I specify the relative file
link by org-insert-link, then I specify 'file:' <enter>, then i specify
filename with relative path, the function converts the relative path to
absolute path. so when i move my org files into another location,
well...

is there any way how to tell to org-store-link (and as well to %a in
org-capture templates) to specify link path relative to the file the
link is stored in?

respectively: if file contains many links, how can i assure file: links
portability when entire org tree changes location?

many thanks

david

* Re: how to make relative file links?
@ 2013-11-05 23:51 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-11-05 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> i've just noticed one annoying thing. When I specify the relative file
> link by org-insert-link, then I specify 'file:' <enter>, then i specify
> filename with relative path, the function converts the relative path to
> absolute path. so when i move my org files into another location,
> well...
>
> is there any way how to tell to org-store-link (and as well to %a in
> org-capture templates) to specify link path relative to the file the
> link is stored in?
>
> respectively: if file contains many links, how can i assure file: links
> portability when entire org tree changes location?
>
> many thanks
>
> david

Does this help?

,----
| org-link-file-path-type is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is adaptive
|
| Documentation:
| How the path name in file links should be stored.
| Valid values are:
|
| relative  Relative to the current directory, i.e. the directory of the file
|           into which the link is being inserted.
| absolute  Absolute path, if possible with ~ for home directory.
| noabbrev  Absolute path, no abbreviation of home directory.
| adaptive  Use relative path for files in the current directory and sub-
|           directories of it.  For other files, use an absolute path.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`----

Nick

* Re: how to make relative file links?
@ 2013-11-06  7:52   ` David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2013-11-06  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

i have it set to adaptive, but always finish with absolute paths, even
if the link is into sub-directory of directory, where the current org file is.

@ 2013-11-06  7:57   ` David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2013-11-06  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

ups, second test. it really works. I have messed up settings on two
computers, one had adaptive and one absolute setting of this variable.

sorry for the mess.

d..

@ 2013-11-06  8:43     ` paul-sqPYmOVXOov10XsdtD+oqA
From: paul-sqPYmOVXOov10XsdtD+oqA @ 2013-11-06  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

David Belohrad <david-rZamiVn3bvgfv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> ups, second test. it really works. I have messed up settings on two
> computers...

I use Dropbox (there are alternatives) for an elisp file with all my
emacs settings so that I always loading the same settings. A minimal
.emacs.d/init.el loads this file on each machine, and also has any
settings that are strictly necessary for just that machine.

* Re: how to make relative file links?
@ 2013-11-20  3:18     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-11-20  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Belohrad; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

I find that capture creates an absolute file link regardless of the variable.

@ 2013-11-20  3:48       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-11-20  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I find that capture creates an absolute file link regardless of the variable.

That's correct: the variable is only used by org-insert-link. Capture
uses org-store-link which stores an absolute link.

Since you can initiate a capture from an arbitrary location in the file
system and store the capture in some other arbitrary location, it would
be a bit more difficult to use anything but absolute links (and things
like symbolic links might make it quite a bit more difficult). It
probably could be done, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

--
Nick

* Re: how to make relative file links?
@ 2013-11-20  4:27         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-11-20  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Actually, I wanted a link to a headline in the same file.

On 11/19/13, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I find that capture creates an absolute file link regardless of the
>> variable.
>>

> That's correct: the variable is only used by org-insert-link. Capture
> uses org-store-link which stores an absolute link.
>
> Since you can initiate a capture from an arbitrary location in the file
> system and store the capture in some other arbitrary location, it would
> be a bit more difficult to use anything but absolute links (and things
> like symbolic links might make it quite a bit more difficult). It
> probably could be done, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.