On Sunday, 31 Dec 2017 at 16:40, Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > What's the value for `auto-fill-function' and > `normal-auto-fill-function'? auto-fill-function is a variable defined in ‘C source code’. Its value is ‘message-do-auto-fill’ normal-auto-fill-function is a variable defined in ‘simple.el’. Its value is ‘message-do-auto-fill’ > M-q should be bound to `orgalist-fill-item' when point is within a list. > Outside, it should be bound to `fill-paragraph'. Be sure to check you > don't do anything suspicious with M-q in your configuration. Well, I've tried to make sure I don't do anything suspicious with respect to M-q. In normal text (within message mode), M-q is bound to fill-paragraph. In a list, M-q is now bound to orgalist-fill-item but obviously if the item has been auto-filled badly, some of the lines in the list are no longer recognised as a list. So the problem is due to auto-fill not working properly. There does seem to be another problem due to some interaction with evil (which I use for all of my writing) but I haven't figured out exactly what is going wrong yet (repeating a 'dw' invocation using '.' deletes to end of buffer). I'll get back to you on this after more experimenting. thanks, eric -- Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.5-269-g144451