* Bug: About org-submit-bug-report [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/org/)]
@ 2019-12-20  0:36 Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2019-12-20  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I want to suggest to make `report-org-bug' and alias for the command
`org-submit-bug-report'.  That's the name I expected (considering
"report-emacs-bug"), also some other Emacs packages name their bug
reporting command according to this scheme.  The additional name would
make this important command more discoverable.

Second point: When you think it is a trivial task for a common user
please consider to add some text to the initial buffer contents of the
message buffer created by this command explaining where one can search
for existing reports (to avoid duplicates and reports about things that
are just pitfalls etc).  My buffer included a link to a page explaining
how to create a good report but there this information is also missing,
although I think it would be a good place.

TIA,

Michael.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 41, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.13)
 of 2019-12-20
Package: Org mode version 9.3 (release_9.3 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/org/)

* [FWD from emacs-orgmode] Re: Bug: About org-submit-bug-report [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/org/)]
@ 2019-12-20  9:18 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2019-12-20  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, emacs-orgmode

[Forwarding this to emacs-devel]

The naming convention for mode-specific bug reporting seems to be
confusing. The bug reporting functions are often not easy to discover
without knowing the explicit command name (especially with emacs default
completion interface). For example see recent message in emacs-orgmode
(below).

> I want to suggest to make `report-org-bug' and alias for the command
> `org-submit-bug-report'.  That's the name I expected (considering
> "report-emacs-bug"), also some other Emacs packages name their bug
> reporting command according to this scheme.  The additional name would
> make this important command more discoverable.

Another convention for bug report command is
*mode*-report-bug/*mode*-bug-report:

calc-report-bug
reftex-report-bug
eshell-report-bug
gnuplot-bug-report
c-submit-bug-report

Though several modes are also using the naming similar to
org-submit-bug-report:

c-submit-bug-report
diredp-send-bug-report
org-edna-submit-bug-report

I am thinking if it would make sense to develop more standardised
command name conventions for bug reporting and add them to
(elisp)Emacs Lisp:Preparing Lisp code for distribution

Then, the built-in emacs packages might be changed to follow those
conventions and improve discoverability of bug reporting capabilities.

Also, an information that different major modes may have they own bug
reporting tools might be mentioned in the default template shown in
report-emacs-bug.

What do you think?

Regards,
Ihor

@ 2020-02-03 19:21 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-03 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

> I want to suggest to make `report-org-bug' and alias for the command
> `org-submit-bug-report'.  That's the name I expected (considering
> "report-emacs-bug"), also some other Emacs packages name their bug
> reporting command according to this scheme.  The additional name would
> make this important command more discoverable.

M-x report TAB only complete `report-emacs-bug' in my setup.
I'm not sure making an exception for Org mode is that useful.

> Second point: When you think it is a trivial task for a common user
> please consider to add some text to the initial buffer contents of the
> message buffer created by this command explaining where one can search
> for existing reports (to avoid duplicates and reports about things that
> are just pitfalls etc).  My buffer included a link to a page explaining
> how to create a good report but there this information is also missing,
> although I think it would be a good place.

I've updated the message a bit, please let me know if this is better:
https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/1a29c0ee

 Bastien