Daniel Clemente writes: >> Nope. "org-persist" directory is not only used by org-element. If some >> other parts of Org need to cache something, they can also store cache >> there. >> > What's the setting then to disable org-persist? I.e. to disable > creating of files like ~/.cache/org-persist/gc-lock.eld > Many people seem to want to disable all creation of org-mode related files. It is impossible. We need to store files like latex previews somewhere. This somewhere is org-persist-directory now. That said, gc-lock.eld should not be created when nothing else is actually stored in the cache. It will be fixed. >> May you suggest an alternative docstring? >> > > I don't know org-persist or org-element-cache-persistent so this needs > your input. I can start with a template, and you can fine-tune it, > expand it or rewrite it:... Thanks! I am attaching tentative patch that improve the documentation. I hope that it clarifies things for you.