* Understanding Publish (ox-publish.el)
@ 2024-10-13 19:25 jman
From: jman @ 2024-10-13 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs orgmode

Hello,

I'm trying to learn more about the publish export option or Org mode. Specifically I am using the
function `org-latex-publish-to-pdf` to export Orgmode files into PDF.

Since this export backend is transparently using Latex, there is stuff going on behind my back that
makes it a bit difficult debugging or customizing the formatting.

My header in the Orgmode file started as simple as:

  #+TITLE: Title of the document
  #+latex_header: \usepackage[a4paper,top=4cm,bottom=4cm]{geometry}

The Orgmode file is nothing but a long ordered list of items:

  * Title
  ** Subtitle
  (Lots of text)
  ** Subtlte II
  * Title II
  (Lots of text)
  ... more ...

and so on. After compiling to PDF, I learn that the default "template" (how is it called in Latex
lingo? `\documentclass`?) used by `org-latex-publish-to-pdf` does not handle content exceeding the
page length so I have to manually add some page breaks, clearly a hack:

  * Title
  ** Subtitle
  (Lots of text)
  #+latex: \clearpage
  ** Subtlte II
  #+latex: \clearpage
  * Title II
  (Lots of text)
  ... more ...

Why isn't this handled automatically for me? Is there a setting I should add in the org file? What's
the default template used by `org-latex-publish-to-pdf`?

Second issue: I want hyperlinks to other documents to not have a border. On Latex the solution seems
to use the hyperref package:

  +latex_header: \usepackage[hidelinks]{hyperref}

again, compiling triggers this error:

  ! LaTeX Error: Option clash for package hyperref.

This error hints at some defaults I cannot see, making the document customization difficult. Where
are these defaults?

How can I get a feeling of what's happening when using this PDF publish option? I think I need a bit
of a high-level overview, hope the author David O’Toole is around for some support :-)

Ideally I'm looking into a simple way to export from Orgmode to PDF, without needing to learn Latex.

Thank you for suggestions, ideas, etc.

Best,