* tables, positioning of `#+Plot:' lines
@ 2020-06-05 19:49 Mario Frasca
From: Mario Frasca @ 2020-06-05 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was wondering about the position of the `#+plot:' lines.  we have a
table, and if we want to have formulas, we put these in a `#+TBLFM:'
line following the table.  the documentation of org-plot states that
`#+PLOT:' lines are looked for: following, or preceding the table, but
then only the "preceding" strategy is implemented.  I tried just out of
curiosity, what happens if I put my `#+PLOT:' lines following the table
but before the `#+TBLFM:' line.  in this case also the `#+TBLFM:' line
is not found.

I see a couple of problems with this approach and in the current
implementation:

- only one single `#+TBLFM:' line is recognized, it must follow the
table, there cannot be any other meta information in between the table
and the `#+TBLFM:' line.

- other programs can't add meta information to the table, or must choose
to stay after the `#+TBLFM:' line or before the `#+PLOT:' lines.

- you have meta information at the two ends of the table, instead of all
on the same side.

I would like to implement the 'plot meta lines after the table', and
some way to comment meta lines.

any thoughts?

my main doubt is that if we acknowledge meta lines at both ends, we end
up with an unmanageable mess, where similar information can be very
distant in the document.  I think it was a mistake to let PLOT
directives be placed elsewhere than formulas, but I don't know if it's
still worth changing this.

best regards, MF