* Convert a Lisp expression to a tree diagram
@ 2022-06-30 14:19 Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-06-30 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Hi all,

Sorry for the slight offtopic. I'd like to be able to graphically
convert (from a src block) a Lisp expression to a tree diagram, similar
to trees used in (human) syntax and grammar, especially generative
grammar (this is a web app for generating such trees:
http://www.ironcreek.net/syntaxtree/). I think I can try some LaTeX hack
using the 'forest' package (here's a related thread with pros and cons:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/140812/drawing-a-lisp-expression-as-a-tree),
but I was wondering if anyone knows of any more emacs/elisp/org friendly
packages/solutions. Some time ago I saw an Emacs package that could
convert a Elisp expression into an ascii text tree diagram, but I can't
remember its name and I can't find it anywhere...

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: Convert a Lisp expression to a tree diagram
@ 2022-06-30 15:17 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-30 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: orgmode

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Sorry for the slight offtopic. I'd like to be able to graphically
> convert (from a src block) a Lisp expression to a tree diagram, similar
> to trees used in (human) syntax and grammar, especially generative
> grammar (this is a web app for generating such trees:
> http://www.ironcreek.net/syntaxtree/). I think I can try some LaTeX hack
> using the 'forest' package (here's a related thread with pros and cons:
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/140812/drawing-a-lisp-expression-as-a-tree),
> but I was wondering if anyone knows of any more emacs/elisp/org friendly
> packages/solutions. Some time ago I saw an Emacs package that could
> convert a Elisp expression into an ascii text tree diagram, but I can't
> remember its name and I can't find it anywhere...

Invoking search across my notes and archives (all stored in Org, of
course) yielded the following:

https://reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/u2ca5c/drawtreeel/
https://reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/kzeyun/pairtree_a_learning_tool_for_visualizing_elisp/

linking to

https://github.com/amno1/draw-cons-tree
https://github.com/zainab-ali/pair-tree.el (example: https://teddit.namazso.eu/pics/w:2172_vetc0martyb61.png)

Hope it helps.

Best,
Ihor

----
actual notes below:

***** CANCELLED /u/zainab-ali [Reddit:emacs] (2021) M-x emacs-reddit: pair-tree: a learning tool for visualizing Elisp lists :BOOKMARK:misc:CANCELLED:
SCHEDULED: <2021-03-28 Sun>
:PROPERTIES:
:ID: 1443107e70e8b4e1d6d17499e546a8603b98d03e
:CREATED: [2021-01-19 Tue 10:09]
:Source: [[https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/kzeyun/pairtree_a_learning_tool_for_visualizing_elisp/]]
:ARCHIVE_TIME: 2021-04-02 Fri 16:15
:ARCHIVE_FILE: ~/Org/notes.org
:ARCHIVE_OLPATH: Topics/Software/Emacs \ org-mode/No deadline
:ARCHIVE_CATEGORY: Emacs[D]
:ARCHIVE_TODO: CANCELLED
:ARCHIVE_ITAGS: COMMON NOREFILE NODEADLINE SKIP
:END:
:LOGBOOK:
- State "CANCELLED"  from "NEXT"          [2021-03-28 Sun 23:59]
CLOCK: [2021-03-28 Sun 23:57]--[2021-03-28 Sun 23:59] =>  0:02
- Refiled on [2021-02-27 Sat 20:47]
- Refiled on [2021-01-19 Tue 10:20]
:END:
:BIBTEX:
#+begin_src bibtex
@misc{1443107e70e8b4e1d6d17499e546a8603b98d03e,
  author =       {/u/zainab-ali},
  howpublished = {Reddit:emacs},
  keywords =     {emacs},
  note =         {Online; accessed 19 January 2021},
  title =        {M-x emacs-reddit: pair-tree: a learning tool for
                  visualizing Elisp lists},
  url =
                  {https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/kzeyun/pairtree_a_learning_tool_for_visualizing_elisp/},
  year =         2021,
}
#+end_src
:END:
***** CANCELLED /u/__g_p__ [Reddit:emacs] (2022) draw-tree.el :BOOKMARK:misc:CANCELLED:
:PROPERTIES:
:TITLE:    draw-tree.el
:BTYPE:    misc
:ID:       Reddit-emacs-/u/__g_p__2022-draw-tree-el-78e
:AUTHOR:   /u/__g_p__
:CREATED:  [2022-04-13 Wed 22:50]
:HOWPUBLISHED: Reddit:emacs
:KEYWORDS: emacs
:NOTE:     Online; accessed 13 April 2022
:RSS:      https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/u2ca5c/drawtreeel/.rss
:YEAR:     2022
:ARCHIVE_TIME: 2022-04-29 Fri 17:33
:ARCHIVE_FILE: ~/Org/notes.org
:ARCHIVE_OLPATH: Topics/Software/Emacs \ org-mode/No deadline
:ARCHIVE_CATEGORY: Emacs[D]
:ARCHIVE_TODO: CANCELLED
:ARCHIVE_ITAGS: COMMON NOREFILE NODEADLINE SKIP
:END:
:LOGBOOK:
- State "CANCELLED"  from "TODO"          [2022-04-28 Thu 22:56]
- Refiled on [2022-04-14 Thu 08:00]
:END:

* RE: Convert a Lisp expression to a tree diagram
@ 2022-06-30 16:21 ` arthur miller
From: arthur miller @ 2022-06-30 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías, orgmode

This one draws graph of cons cells (lists):

https://github.com/amno1/draw-cons-tree

I never tried with random s-expressions, but I guess you could pass them in as lists?

@ 2022-06-30 22:30   ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-06-30 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: orgmode

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Invoking search across my notes and archives (all stored in Org, of
> course) yielded the following:
>
> https://reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/u2ca5c/drawtreeel/
> https://reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/kzeyun/pairtree_a_learning_tool_for_visualizing_elisp/
>
> linking to
>
> https://github.com/amno1/draw-cons-tree
> https://github.com/zainab-ali/pair-tree.el (example: https://teddit.namazso.eu/pics/w:2172_vetc0martyb61.png)
>
> Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot, Ihor! There is some very juicy information there.

> actual notes below:

Awesome notes. Hats off to such a detailed capture (reminds me to give
my poor org-capture templates some more love one day :-))

@ 2022-06-30 22:32   ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-06-30 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arthur miller; +Cc: orgmode

arthur miller writes:

> This one draws graph of cons cells (lists):
>
> https://github.com/amno1/draw-cons-tree
>
> I never tried with random s-expressions, but I guess you could pass
> them in as lists?

Hi, Arthur,

Thank you for the pointer to draw-cons-tree. I didn't know this package,
I'll take a look.

@ 2022-07-01  1:13     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-07-01  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: orgmode

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

>> actual notes below:
>
> Awesome notes. Hats off to such a detailed capture (reminds me to give
> my poor org-capture templates some more love one day :-))

This capture template is public: https://github.com/yantar92/org-capture-ref

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Convert a Lisp expression to a tree diagram
@ 2022-07-01 10:45       ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-07-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: orgmode

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> This capture template is public: https://github.com/yantar92/org-capture-ref

Thank you! It is very complete, and I have seen that it also integrates
with qutebrowser. I'll try it as soon as I have time.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel