From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
To: "Tor-björn Claesson" <tclaesson@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org,
	Jonas Bernoulli <emacs.transient@jonas.bernoulli.dev>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org-cite: Replace basic follow-processor with transient menu?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2024 17:58:17 +0000	[thread overview]

[ CCing emacs-devel and the author of transient; maybe we can have some
  more suggestions this way ]

For some context, we are trying to create a customizeable transient menu
with items configured via user option.

We are also trying to pass additional arguments from prefix to suffix
commands in a way that there is no need to write suffix commands
specially just for transient.

Tor-björn Claesson <tclaesson@gmail.com> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>> Thanks! This looks much more clean.
>> Even better would be having a defcustom that defines the transient
>> layout. The idea is to avoid hard-coding [["Open" ... ] ["Copy" ...]
>> ...] and instead make it defcustom.
>
> Here is a solution that works for me. Is this an OK use of eval, or is
> there a better way of doing this?
>
> (defcustom org-cite-basic-follow-actions
>   '[["Open"
>     ("b" "bibliography entry" org-cite-basic-follow.open-bibliography)]
>    ["Copy"
>     ("d" "DOI" org-cite-basic-follow.copy-doi)]
>    ["Browse"
>     ("u" "url" org-cite-basic-follow.browse-url)]]
>   "Contents of the org-cite-basic-follow transient menu.
>
> This can be customized directly using the customization
> interface. Use setopt instead of setq if you change this option
> in elisp, to ensure that the transient is rebuilt.

+1

> Further  actions can be added using transient-define-suffix."
>   :group 'org-cite
>   :type 'sexp
>   :set (lambda (option-name new-value)
>          (eval
>           `(transient-define-prefix org-cite-basic-follow (citation &optional prefix)
>              "Follow a citation reference.
>
> The contents of this transient menu is set in org-cite-basic-follow-actions."
>              ,new-value
>              (interactive)
>              (if (or org-cite-basic-follow-ask prefix)
>                  (transient-setup 'org-cite-basic-follow nil nil :scope (list citation prefix))
>                (org-cite-basic-goto citation prefix))))
>          (set-default-toplevel-value option-name new-value)))

This should work, but maybe Jonas can provide better ideas.

>>> And I can then for example add my own pdf-action like this:
>>>
>>> (transient-append-suffix 'org-cite-basic-follow "b"
>>>   '("p" "pdf"
>>>     (lambda (citation prefix)
>>>       (interactive (oref (transient-prefix-object) scope))
>>>       (find-file-other-window
>>>        (concat
>>>         tbc/projektet
>>>         "Referensartiklar"
>>>         "/"
>>>         (org-element-property :key citation)
>>>         ".pdf")))))
>>
>> It feels a bit too complex to demand knowledge of these transient
>> details (how to get the arglist) from users.
>>
>> I am wondering if we can somehow plug the existing commands passing the
>> arguments without any extra setup on the user side.
>
> The lambda form is much neater with your (transient-scope) suggestion:
> (lambda (citation prefix)
>         (interactive (transient-scope))
>         ...)
>
> Is this simple enough? I don't feel a macro would improve the
> situation.

It is not too bad, but what I really wanted is to reuse an existing
command/function without having to write a tailored interactive
statement. Again, I am hoping to get some insight from emacs-devel.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,