* C-c C-c to close the buffer in *Org Src ...* buffers
@ 2020-01-31 11:03 Bastien
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2020-01-31 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'd like to make <C-c C-c> an equivalent to <C-c '> in Org Src buffers
so that hitting <C-c C-c> will close the buffer, which seems natural.

WDYT?

--
 Bastien

* Re: C-c C-c to close the buffer in *Org Src ...* buffers
@ 2020-01-31 11:14 ` Fraga, Eric
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2020-01-31 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Friday, 31 Jan 2020 at 12:03, Bastien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to make <C-c C-c> an equivalent to <C-c '> in Org Src buffers
> so that hitting <C-c C-c> will close the buffer, which seems natural.

It does seem natural and generally support this idea.

However, it could potentially cause me a minor annoyance: I often (in
manuals and other forms of dissemination) use org src blocks (i.e. src
blocks with org code) and I would expect C-c C-c to do whatever it would
normally do in an org file (e.g. add tag) while editing that
block.  Would the normal C-c C-c behaviour take precedence?

If not, this is a very minor issue so I'm sure I would adjust!

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.1-94-g0ac6a9

* Re: C-c C-c to close the buffer in *Org Src ...* buffers
@ 2020-01-31 11:20 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2020-01-31 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 11:05, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to make <C-c C-c> an equivalent to <C-c '> in Org Src buffers
> so that hitting <C-c C-c> will close the buffer, which seems natural.
>
> WDYT?

SGTM.

Best wishes,
   Neil

* Re: C-c C-c to close the buffer in *Org Src ...* buffers
@ 2020-01-31 15:00 ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2020-01-31 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 31 January 2020, Bastien wrote:

> I'd like to make <C-c C-c> an equivalent to <C-c '> in Org Src buffers
> so that hitting <C-c C-c> will close the buffer, which seems natural.

Sound sensible.

I use a tip from Artur Malabarba
(http://endlessparentheses.com/emacs-narrow-or-widen-dwim.html) to use C-x C-s
to save and close the buffer, which is easy to remember, but C-c C-c is natural
and very Orgish.

Bill
--
William Denton :: Toronto, Canada   ---   Listening to Art: https://listeningtoart.org/
https://www.miskatonic.org/         ---   GHG.EARTH: https://ghg.earth/

* Re: C-c C-c to close the buffer in *Org Src ...* buffers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-01-31 18:04 ` Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2020-01-31 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> On Jan 31, 2020, at 3:03 AM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to make <C-c C-c> an equivalent to <C-c '> in Org Src buffers
> so that hitting <C-c C-c> will close the buffer, which seems natural.
>
> WDYT?

Many modes used in org src buffers have C-c C-c in their maps. python, latex, c++, shell, R, ...

I often use C-c C-c in R src edit buffers to eval functions and code blocks, so this will be an inconvenience for me (and I suspect for others).

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: C-c C-c to close the buffer in *Org Src ...* buffers
@ 2020-01-31 20:01   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2020-01-31 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berry, Charles, Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

"Berry, Charles" via "General discussions about Org-mode." <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> writes:

>> On Jan 31, 2020, at 3:03 AM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to make <C-c C-c> an equivalent to <C-c '> in Org Src
>> buffers so that hitting <C-c C-c> will close the buffer, which seems
>> natural.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Many modes used in org src buffers have C-c C-c in their maps. python,
> latex, c++, shell, R, ...
>
> I often use C-c C-c in R src edit buffers to eval functions and code
> blocks, so this will be an inconvenience for me (and I suspect for
> others).

Agreed. C-c C-c in python-mode is bound to python-shell-send-buffer,
which evaluates the buffer in a running instance of python. I think
<C-c '> has fewer conflicts with existing bindings.

Matt

* Re: C-c C-c to close the buffer in *Org Src ...* buffers
@ 2020-02-01  8:48   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-01  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode.; +Cc: Berry, Charles

Thanks Charles, Matt and Eric for your feedback.

I'd rather stick to the current keybindings for now,
let's resist the temptation to supercharge `C-c C-c'.

--

@ 2020-02-01  9:31   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2020-02-01  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 2020-01-31, at 12:14, Fraga, Eric <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Friday, 31 Jan 2020 at 12:03, Bastien wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to make <C-c C-c> an equivalent to <C-c '> in Org Src buffers
>> so that hitting <C-c C-c> will close the buffer, which seems natural.
>
> It does seem natural and generally support this idea.
>
> However, it could potentially cause me a minor annoyance: I often (in
> manuals and other forms of dissemination) use org src blocks (i.e. src
> blocks with org code) and I would expect C-c C-c to do whatever it would
> normally do in an org file (e.g. add tag) while editing that
> block.  Would the normal C-c C-c behaviour take precedence?
>
> If not, this is a very minor issue so I'm sure I would adjust!

A similar issue was the reason I stopped using C-c C-c to add tags in
favor of C-c C-q: I wanted to add tags while capturing notes.

What I'm saying is that maybe C-c C-c tries to be too clever, and it may
be better not to rely on it too much.

Just my 2 cents,

--
Marcin Borkowski