From: "Étienne Deparis" <etienne@depar.is>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [O] error message at line break
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 18:58:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

I allow myself to revive an old thread, as I encounter today the exact
same problem: Emacs crash in org mode at line ending with the following
backtrace:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil)
  insert-before-markers-and-inherit(nil)
  org-comment-line-break-function(t)
  default-indent-new-line(t)
  do-auto-fill()
  internal-auto-fill()
  self-insert-command(1)
  org-self-insert-command(1)
  funcall-interactively(org-self-insert-command 1)
  call-interactively(org-self-insert-command nil nil)
  command-execute(org-self-insert-command)

I confirm that I've the same variable set in my Emacs config file:

  (setq-default auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)

Which I take from the Emacs Wiki AutoFill page¹, with the explanation
of: « If you would like to enable auto fill for all major modes, you can
add this single line to your configuration ».

¹ https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AutoFillMode

To fix this, I simply replace the last line of
`org-comment-line-break-function' (in ./lisp/org.el, line 19723) from:

  (insert-before-markers-and-inherit fill-prefix)

  (when fill-prefix
    (insert-before-markers-and-inherit fill-prefix))

But I must admit I don't know all the implications of such a change. In
my case, it does the job perfectly well, but maybe I miss something?

I run make test and every thing goes fine too.

I would like to suggest to fix the method
`org-comment-line-break-function', in order to support user change of
the variable auto-fill-function, as it seems to be a common thing. What
do you think?

Have a good week-end,

Étienne