emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Feature request: in org html export, option to disable id & class properties.
@ 2021-07-10  7:07 Zachary Kanfer
  2021-07-10  7:41 ` András Simonyi
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Zachary Kanfer @ 2021-07-10  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 877 bytes --]

When I export this sample org file:

    * top-level header
    ** and here we have #2

The body of the generated html has this content:

    <div id="content">
      <h1 class="title">top-level header</h1>
      <div id="outline-container-orgd9fc9e6" class="outline-2">
        <h2 id="orgd9fc9e6">and here we have #2</h2>
      </div>
    </div>

I would prefer the html to not have these id or class properties; something
like this:

    <div>
      <h1>top-level header</h1>
      <div>
        <h2>and here we have #2</h2>
      </div>
    </div>

Actually, I'd rather skip the divs entirely, but that is a separate issue.
Could there be a configurable way to disable the creation of these
properties? I have searched the mailing list, and have not found anything.
Perhaps I've missed something; there are a lot of results for "html class
id" or similar searches. Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1174 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Feature request: in org html export, option to disable id & class properties.
  2021-07-10  7:07 Feature request: in org html export, option to disable id & class properties Zachary Kanfer
@ 2021-07-10  7:41 ` András Simonyi
  2021-07-11  5:45   ` Zachary Kanfer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: András Simonyi @ 2021-07-10  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zachary Kanfer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Hello,
I'm not really familiar with the internals of the built-in html
exporter but the slimhtml exporter
[https://github.com/balddotcat/ox-slimhtml]  might be closer to what
you're looking for.

best regards,
András

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 at 09:08, Zachary Kanfer <zkanfer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When I export this sample org file:
>
>     * top-level header
>     ** and here we have #2
>
> The body of the generated html has this content:
>
>     <div id="content">
>       <h1 class="title">top-level header</h1>
>       <div id="outline-container-orgd9fc9e6" class="outline-2">
>         <h2 id="orgd9fc9e6">and here we have #2</h2>
>       </div>
>     </div>
>
> I would prefer the html to not have these id or class properties; something like this:
>
>     <div>
>       <h1>top-level header</h1>
>       <div>
>         <h2>and here we have #2</h2>
>       </div>
>     </div>
>
> Actually, I'd rather skip the divs entirely, but that is a separate issue. Could there be a configurable way to disable the creation of these properties? I have searched the mailing list, and have not found anything. Perhaps I've missed something; there are a lot of results for "html class id" or similar searches. Thanks.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Feature request: in org html export, option to disable id & class properties.
  2021-07-10  7:41 ` András Simonyi
@ 2021-07-11  5:45   ` Zachary Kanfer
  2021-10-03 15:57     ` Amin Bandali
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Zachary Kanfer @ 2021-07-11  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1626 bytes --]

That is an interesting exporter. Is it actually part of orgmode? I don't
see it in the org repository. I don't want to rely on downloading something
from an archived repository that won't get bugfixes.

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 3:41 AM András Simonyi <andras.simonyi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm not really familiar with the internals of the built-in html
> exporter but the slimhtml exporter
> [https://github.com/balddotcat/ox-slimhtml]  might be closer to what
> you're looking for.
>
> best regards,
> András
>
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 at 09:08, Zachary Kanfer <zkanfer@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > When I export this sample org file:
> >
> >     * top-level header
> >     ** and here we have #2
> >
> > The body of the generated html has this content:
> >
> >     <div id="content">
> >       <h1 class="title">top-level header</h1>
> >       <div id="outline-container-orgd9fc9e6" class="outline-2">
> >         <h2 id="orgd9fc9e6">and here we have #2</h2>
> >       </div>
> >     </div>
> >
> > I would prefer the html to not have these id or class properties;
> something like this:
> >
> >     <div>
> >       <h1>top-level header</h1>
> >       <div>
> >         <h2>and here we have #2</h2>
> >       </div>
> >     </div>
> >
> > Actually, I'd rather skip the divs entirely, but that is a separate
> issue. Could there be a configurable way to disable the creation of these
> properties? I have searched the mailing list, and have not found anything.
> Perhaps I've missed something; there are a lot of results for "html class
> id" or similar searches. Thanks.
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2423 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Feature request: in org html export, option to disable id & class properties.
  2021-07-11  5:45   ` Zachary Kanfer
@ 2021-10-03 15:57     ` Amin Bandali
  2021-10-04  4:12       ` Zachary Kanfer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Amin Bandali @ 2021-10-03 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zachary Kanfer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list, András Simonyi

Hi Zachary,

Zachary Kanfer writes:

> That is an interesting exporter. Is it actually part of orgmode? I don't
> see it in the org repository. I don't want to rely on downloading something
> from an archived repository that won't get bugfixes.

Indeed, ox-slimhtml is not part of Org at the moment, but I'm hoping
it can be.  I'm trying to revive discussion about it on this list,
if you'd be interested in following and/or chiming in.

-- 
https://bndl.org


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Feature request: in org html export, option to disable id & class properties.
  2021-10-03 15:57     ` Amin Bandali
@ 2021-10-04  4:12       ` Zachary Kanfer
  2021-10-04  5:01         ` Tim Cross
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Zachary Kanfer @ 2021-10-04  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Bandali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list, András Simonyi

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 821 bytes --]

Sure, I'm generally interested in making this useful. Weird that it claims
to be part of org, but isn't.

I do think it would be useful to have a minimalist html exporter in org,
whether slimhtml or some other one. The built-in html exporter is rather
opinionated.

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021, 11:57 AM Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Zachary,
>
> Zachary Kanfer writes:
>
> > That is an interesting exporter. Is it actually part of orgmode? I don't
> > see it in the org repository. I don't want to rely on downloading
> something
> > from an archived repository that won't get bugfixes.
>
> Indeed, ox-slimhtml is not part of Org at the moment, but I'm hoping
> it can be.  I'm trying to revive discussion about it on this list,
> if you'd be interested in following and/or chiming in.
>
> --
> https://bndl.org
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1310 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Feature request: in org html export, option to disable id & class properties.
  2021-10-04  4:12       ` Zachary Kanfer
@ 2021-10-04  5:01         ` Tim Cross
  2021-10-04  6:17           ` New HTML exporter (was a feature request) Timothy
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-10-04  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


Zachary Kanfer <zkanfer@gmail.com> writes:

> Sure, I'm generally interested in making this useful. Weird that it claims to be part of org, but isn't.
>
> I do think it would be useful to have a minimalist html exporter in org, whether slimhtml or some other one. The built-in html
> exporter is rather opinionated.
>

I tend to agree. Although this would be difficult to achieve now because
of the impact it would have on end users, I think the best architecture
for org would be for ALL exporters to be basic 'no thrills' exporters
and more advanced, opinionated or specialised exporters provided as
external ELPA or NONGNUE ELPA add ons which are not part of the core
architecture. Org maintenance could then just focus on core
functionality and an API which make implementing extensions/add-ons
easier.

I also agree with Bastien that adding a second HTML exporter as part of
the core is likely to lead to confusion and additional maintenance.
Probably what is needed is a new HTML exporter which is capable of doing
what slimhtml does as the default, but includes the additional
functionality already in the exporter which many people are using.

Getting this right is definitely a non-trivial problem. 


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: New HTML exporter (was a feature request)
  2021-10-04  5:01         ` Tim Cross
@ 2021-10-04  6:17           ` Timothy
  2021-10-04 14:19             ` Matt Price
  2022-06-11  8:06             ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Timothy @ 2021-10-04  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 642 bytes --]

Hi Tim,

> Probably what is needed is a new HTML exporter which is capable of doing
> what slimhtml does as the default, but includes the additional
> functionality already in the exporter which many people are using.

I think there may be some promise in the idea of rewriting (large parts of) the
current HTML exporter. The way that the web has changed over the last decade I
think we can now make some assumptions that can simplify things — for example
I think we could safely go HTML5-only.

Not something I have time to investigate now, but in a month or two (or
three 😛) I might take a look.

All the best,
Timothy

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: New HTML exporter (was a feature request)
  2021-10-04  6:17           ` New HTML exporter (was a feature request) Timothy
@ 2021-10-04 14:19             ` Matt Price
  2022-06-11  8:06             ` Ihor Radchenko
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Matt Price @ 2021-10-04 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Tim Cross, Org Mode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 878 bytes --]

On Mon., Oct. 4, 2021, 2:21 a.m. Timothy, <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> > Probably what is needed is a new HTML exporter which is capable of doing
> > what slimhtml does as the default, but includes the additional
> > functionality already in the exporter which many people are using.
>
> I think there may be some promise in the idea of rewriting (large parts
> of) the
> current HTML exporter. The way that the web has changed over the last
> decade I
> think we can now make some assumptions that can simplify things — for
> example
> I think we could safely go HTML5-only
>

> It seems to me that if the html exporter is being rewritten, we might want
to think about ways to make it easier to export some elements as custom
components. As their use becomes more and more common, I would reckon this
will be a desirable feature.


>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1489 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: New HTML exporter (was a feature request)
  2021-10-04  6:17           ` New HTML exporter (was a feature request) Timothy
  2021-10-04 14:19             ` Matt Price
@ 2022-06-11  8:06             ` Ihor Radchenko
  2022-06-11  8:25               ` Timothy
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-11  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Tim Cross, emacs-orgmode

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Not something I have time to investigate now, but in a month or two (or
> three 😛) I might take a look.

I am bumping this. Just in case ;)


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: New HTML exporter (was a feature request)
  2022-06-11  8:06             ` Ihor Radchenko
@ 2022-06-11  8:25               ` Timothy
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Timothy @ 2022-06-11  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Tim Cross, emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 406 bytes --]

Hi Ihor,

>> Not something I have time to investigate now, but in a month or two (or
>> three 😛) I might take a look.
>
> I am bumping this. Just in case ;)

This definitely needs a bump, however I think the ETA is still “a few months”
with the current projects I’ve got eating my time 😅. Unless somebody might
happen to have a cloning pod available… 👀

All the best,
Timothy

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2022-06-11  8:30 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 10+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-07-10  7:07 Feature request: in org html export, option to disable id & class properties Zachary Kanfer
2021-07-10  7:41 ` András Simonyi
2021-07-11  5:45   ` Zachary Kanfer
2021-10-03 15:57     ` Amin Bandali
2021-10-04  4:12       ` Zachary Kanfer
2021-10-04  5:01         ` Tim Cross
2021-10-04  6:17           ` New HTML exporter (was a feature request) Timothy
2021-10-04 14:19             ` Matt Price
2022-06-11  8:06             ` Ihor Radchenko
2022-06-11  8:25               ` Timothy

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).