* Managing acronyms in an Org-mode document
@ 2024-05-25 23:26 Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-05-25 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to manage acronyms in an Org-mode document ?

For example:

1. I write a list of acronyms and their definition inside a "List of
   acronyms" heading

2. In my document, when I simply write the acronyms in my text

3. When I export my Org-mode document, the first time that an acronym is
   written, it appear in full version and all the other times it appear
   in acronym version

Best regards

-------
Gendre Sébastien

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Managing acronyms in an Org-mode document
@ 2024-05-26 13:02 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-05-26 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Gendre; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

https://github.com/tecosaur/org-glossary

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Managing acronyms in an Org-mode document
@ 2024-05-27  3:16   ` Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-05-27  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you very much.

I will take a look at it.

> Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to manage acronyms in an Org-mode document ?
>
> https://github.com/tecosaur/org-glossary
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

* Re: Managing acronyms in an Org-mode document
@ 2024-05-27  5:26 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-05-27  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: seb, Org Mode List

Sébastien writes:
>  Hello,

Hi, answers inline

> Is there a way to manage acronyms in an Org-mode document ?

Currently I'm using acronyms in Documents which I handle with *TeX as my
background processor. So, it's basically embedding the LaTeX \ac* commands
in the org-file. But I'm thinking of a module to do this in org-native
mode.

> For example:
>
> 1. I write a list of acronyms and their definition inside a "List of
>    acronyms" heading
>
> 2. In my document, when I simply write the acronyms in my text
>
> 3. When I export my Org-mode document, the first time that an acronym is
>    written, it appear in full version and all the other times it appear
>    in acronym version

Most of what you say is already there in e.g. the acronyms package in LaTeX
and I have an ancient attempt at this written in C which made it's way to
the venerable latex2rtf program. It could make a nice summer project. I
could share the notes I have taken until now with basic ideas.

Best, /PA

--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: Managing acronyms in an Org-mode document
@ 2024-05-28 11:34 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2024-05-28 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: seb, Org Mode List

org-ref supports acronyms and glossaries:
https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/blob/master/org-ref-glossary.el. There
is a video of it at
https://www.youtube.com/live/sebs2vSIEk4?si=XUfT4KIuCF0PxlnN. It sounds
close to what you want.

On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 5:04 AM Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <
paaguti@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sébastien writes:
> >  Hello,
>
> Hi, answers inline
>
> > Is there a way to manage acronyms in an Org-mode document ?
>
> Currently I'm using acronyms in Documents which I handle with *TeX as my
> background processor. So, it's basically embedding the LaTeX \ac* commands
> in the org-file. But I'm thinking of a module to do this in org-native
> mode.
>
> > For example:
> >
> > 1. I write a list of acronyms and their definition inside a "List of
> >    acronyms" heading
> >
> > 2. In my document, when I simply write the acronyms in my text
> >
> > 3. When I export my Org-mode document, the first time that an acronym is
> >    written, it appear in full version and all the other times it appear
> >    in acronym version
>
> Most of what you say is already there in e.g. the acronyms package in
> LaTeX and I have an ancient attempt at this written in C which made it's
> way to the venerable latex2rtf program. It could make a nice summer
> project. I could share the notes I have taken until now with basic ideas.
>
> Best, /PA
>
> --
> Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
> Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
> Georg Kreisler
>
> Headaches with a Juju log:
> unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
> a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

--
John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
https://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu
https://pointbreezepubs.gumroad.com/ pycse bookstore

* Re: Managing acronyms in an Org-mode document
@ 2024-05-28 16:00   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-05-28 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: seb, Org Mode List