* Can't write accents in R graphics
@ 2013-12-05 10:33 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-12-05 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

#+TITLE:     ECM Process Coding System
#+PROPERTY:  eval yes
#+PROPERTY:  exports both
#+PROPERTY:  cache no

* Problem

  I can't write accents in graphic titles (nor legends).

* Settings

  After Googling (a lot), I always come back to the same set of solutions:

  - Adding the following in my ~.emacs~ file:

    #+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (setq process-coding-system-alist '(("R.*" . utf-8-unix)))
    #+end_src

    #+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (add-hook 'ess-R-post-run-hook
              (lambda () (set-buffer-process-coding-system
                          'utf-8-unix 'utf-8-unix)))
    #+end_src

  - Setting the process coding system in the =*R*= buffer:

    #+begin_src emacs-lisp
    M-x set-buffer-process-coding-system RET utf-8-unix RET utf-8-unix RET
    #+end_src

  None of those does work for me, from an Org file...

* Example

** Text

   Print a string does always work, in the Org buffer, and in the export.

   #+begin_src R
   print("Élève")
   #+end_src

   #+results:
   : Élève

** Graph

   But adding a title with accents never does:

   #+header: :file ecm-R-coding-system.png
   #+begin_src R :results graphics :width 240 :height 240
   x <- 0:12
   plot(sin(x/2))
   title("Élève")
   #+end_src

   #+results:
   [[file:ecm-R-coding-system.png]]

* Observations

  You can see a demo of (some of) the tests I made on
  http://screencast.com/t/7Nz87zuqiz.

  Maybe the problem is not related neither to Org, nor ESS, as I see that
  =sessionInfo()= outputs French stuff.

Maybe some of the R users here could share their experience with the "coding
system" configuration?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Can't write accents in R graphics
       [not found] <CACJpEk2aXhDBnY4WuvcaBkHuzB8_inZiEKPedMYvAvSO2UAfDA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-12-05 18:43 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-12-05 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera; +Cc: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Vicente,

(Copying to the mailing list...)

Vicente Vera wrote:
> I have a similar problem, but found out a workaround.
> My native coding system is Latin-1, and after setting almost everything in
> my Emacs to UTF-8 with these lines in my init.el:
>
> (set-language-environment "UTF-8")
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> it became troublesome to add accents in plot legends/titles.
> My guess is that is an R related problem. I tried changing the coding
> system in R but it seems to be bound to the OS encoding (i'm using Windows
> btw).

I should have said it: I'm on Windows as well.

> Since all my Emacs files (Org files included) are encoded in UTF-8, i
> simply replace the troublesome characters with their Unicode equivalent.

And, by default, I'm using UTF-8 everywhere...

> Following your example:
>
> title("Élève")
>
> becomes:
>
> title("\U00C9l\U00E8ve")
>
> This site might help in looking for specific codes:
> http://www.utf8-chartable.de/

OK, I can imagine that workaround works, but I really can't resolve to type
such esoteric characters in my Org buffers, really.

I'd well be enclined to convert my buffers to ISO Latin 1, would it resolve the
problem -- but I did not find any solution with Latin 1 either.

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2013-12-05 19:15 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-12-05 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 5, 2013 4:35 AM, "Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news@mygooglest.com> wrote:

> #+TITLE:     ECM Process Coding System
> #+PROPERTY:  eval yes
> #+PROPERTY:  exports both
> #+PROPERTY:  cache no
>
> * Problem
>
>   I can't write accents in graphic titles (nor legends).
>
> * Settings
>
>   After Googling (a lot), I always come back to the same set of solutions:
>
>   - Adding the following in my ~.emacs~ file:
>
>     #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>     (setq process-coding-system-alist '(("R.*" . utf-8-unix)))
>     #+end_src
>
>     #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>     (add-hook 'ess-R-post-run-hook
>               (lambda () (set-buffer-process-coding-system
>                           'utf-8-unix 'utf-8-unix)))
>     #+end_src
>
>   - Setting the process coding system in the =*R*= buffer:
>
>     #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>     M-x set-buffer-process-coding-system RET utf-8-unix RET utf-8-unix RET
>     #+end_src
>
>   None of those does work for me, from an Org file...
>
> * Example
>
> ** Text
>
>    Print a string does always work, in the Org buffer, and in the export.
>
>    #+begin_src R
>    print("Élève")
>    #+end_src
>
>    #+results:
>    : Élève
>
> ** Graph
>
>    But adding a title with accents never does:
>
>    #+header: :file ecm-R-coding-system.png
>    #+begin_src R :results graphics :width 240 :height 240
>    x <- 0:12
>    plot(sin(x/2))
>    title("Élève")
>    #+end_src
>
>    #+results:
>    [[file:ecm-R-coding-system.png]]
>
> * Observations
>
>   You can see a demo of (some of) the tests I made on
>   http://screencast.com/t/7Nz87zuqiz.
>
>   Maybe the problem is not related neither to Org, nor ESS, as I see that
>   =sessionInfo()= outputs French stuff.
>
> Maybe some of the R users here could share their experience with the
"coding
> system" configuration?

Can you do it straight from R? Might be a better place to start? If not,
I'd look into that first to avoid googling org and ESS stuff in vain!

John

> Best regards,
>   Seb
>
> --
> Sebastien Vauban

* [babel] Can't write accented characters in R graphics
@ 2013-12-06 11:19   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-12-06 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

John Hendy wrote:
> Can you do it straight from R? Might be a better place to start? If not,
> I'd look into that first to avoid googling org and ESS stuff in vain!

The 1'42" demo on http://screencast.com/t/A9q6CQlLY6 clearly shows that:

- It (now [1]) works from the R terminal

- It works from the Org edit buffer (via C-c '), when sending the commands to
  the iESS process

- It does not work from the Org file itself...

Environment:
- Microsoft Windows 8
- GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32) of 2013-10-19 on LEG570
- Org-mode version 8.2.3c (release_8.2.3c-333-g487c74)
- R 3.0.2

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] I've added the following code in my .emacs to make it work:

    #+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (setq process-coding-system-alist
          '(("R.*" . iso-latin-1)))
    #+end_src

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [babel] Can't write accented characters in R graphics
@ 2013-12-10 18:47     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-12-10 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

"Sebastien Vauban" wrote:
> John Hendy wrote:
>> Can you do it straight from R? Might be a better place to start? If not,
>> I'd look into that first to avoid googling org and ESS stuff in vain!
>
> The 1'42" demo on http://screencast.com/t/A9q6CQlLY6 clearly shows that:
>
> - It (now [1]) works from the R terminal
>
> - It works from the Org edit buffer (via C-c '), when sending the commands to
>   the iESS process
>
> - It does not work from the Org file itself...

Fixed with:

    ;; accented characters on graphics
    (setq org-babel-R-command
          (concat org-babel-R-command " --encoding=UTF-8")))

> Environment:
> - Microsoft Windows 8
>
> [1] I've added the following code in my .emacs to make it work:
>
>     #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>     (setq process-coding-system-alist
>           '(("R.*" . iso-latin-1)))
>     #+end_src

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2013-12-10 21:08       ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-12-10 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban writes:

> Fixed with:

>     ;; accented characters on graphics
>     (setq org-babel-R-command
>           (concat org-babel-R-command " --encoding=UTF-8")))

That looked promising, but when I tried it, I got the following
*Org-Babel Error Output*, which shows Babel choking on the first
non-ascii character at the start of the xlab string:

Error: unexpected '/' in:
"plot(1:10, 1:10, xlab="dev.off()
}}(),transfer.file="/var/folders/JV/JVNxBfnMGkWC9Aw0BZa8Kk+++TI/-Tmp-/"
Execution halted

Still baffled,

Christian

* Re: [babel] Can't write accented characters in R graphics
@ 2013-12-11  8:48         ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-12-11  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Christian Moe wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>
>> Fixed with:

>>     ;; accented characters on graphics
>>     (setq org-babel-R-command
>>           (concat org-babel-R-command " --encoding=UTF-8")))
>
> That looked promising, but when I tried it, I got the following
> *Org-Babel Error Output*, which shows Babel choking on the first
> non-ascii character at the start of the xlab string:
>
> Error: unexpected '/' in:
> "plot(1:10, 1:10, xlab="dev.off()
> }}(),transfer.file="/var/folders/JV/JVNxBfnMGkWC9Aw0BZa8Kk+++TI/-Tmp-/"
> Execution halted
>
> Still baffled,

Maybe try with variations of the above encoding, such as latin1 or so.

Pay attention:

- Different installations have different expectations (the Windows R binary
  does not behave the same as the Cygwin R for the default encoding).

- The encoding name is not spelled the same between the Windows R binary and
  the Cygwin R one: UTF-8 passes both tests, utf8 only for the Windows
  binary...

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2013-12-15 20:48   ` Bernd Haug
From: Bernd Haug @ 2013-12-15 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hey,

The thread's a bit stale, so sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here,

On 5 December 2013 20:15, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you do it straight from R? Might be a better place to start? If not, I'd
> look into that first to avoid googling org and ESS stuff in vain!

More concrete: Try using cairo_pdf as your graph output function in R.
It can do PDF exports with non-ASCII characters.

Caveats: Getting Cairo for R may be some work on Windows from what
I've heard. Also I was still on 2.15.3 when I had this working.

Cheers, Bernd
--
Senior Software Engineer
Xaidat GmbH