* Anniversaries from BBDB available to calendar and diary?
@ 2013-11-26  5:47 Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2013-11-26  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It makes sense to put birthdays and other anniversaries in BBDB as
described in section 10.3.1 of the Org manual. Why repeat information by
putting it in the diary when you already have a contact entry in BBDB
for the person? The only problem with this is that the anniversaries
aren't marked in the calendar and don't show up the diary.  Is there
away to make the calendar/diary aware of anniversaries in BBDB?

Joseph

* Re: Anniversaries from BBDB available to calendar and diary?
@ 2013-11-27 12:44 ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-11-27 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Mingrone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Joseph,

jrm@ftfl.ca writes:

> It makes sense to put birthdays and other anniversaries in BBDB as
> described in section 10.3.1 of the Org manual.

I wonder, did you look at the section of 10.3.1 titled "Anniversaries
from BBDB"?

> Why repeat information by putting it in the diary when you already
> have a contact entry in BBDB for the person? The only problem with
> this is that the anniversaries aren't marked in the calendar and don't
> show up the diary.  Is there away to make the calendar/diary aware of
> anniversaries in BBDB?

Myles

* Re: Anniversaries from BBDB available to calendar and diary?
@ 2013-11-27 13:19   ` Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2013-11-27 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Myles,

Thanks for your reply.

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:
> I wonder, did you look at the section of 10.3.1 titled "Anniversaries
> from BBDB"?

This is what prompted me to store many of the anniversaries in BBDB as
opposed to the diary.  Following the information in section 10.3.1 of
the manual allows one to see these anniversaries in the Org agenda, but
they are now not shown in the calendar/diary.  So far, I've been able to
partially resolve the issue by upgrading to BBDB 3, which includes
bbdb-anniv.el.

;; To display BBDB anniversaries in the Emacs diary, use
;; (add-hook 'diary-list-entries-hook 'bbdb-anniv-diary-entries)

@ 2013-11-28  3:37     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-11-28  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Joseph Mingrone <jrm@ftfl.ca> writes:

> Hi Myles,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:
>> I wonder, did you look at the section of 10.3.1 titled "Anniversaries
>> from BBDB"?
>
> This is what prompted me to store many of the anniversaries in BBDB as
> opposed to the diary.  Following the information in section 10.3.1 of
> the manual allows one to see these anniversaries in the Org agenda, but
> they are now not shown in the calendar/diary.  So far, I've been able to
> partially resolve the issue by upgrading to BBDB 3, which includes
> bbdb-anniv.el.
>
> ;; To display BBDB anniversaries in the Emacs diary, use
> ;; (add-hook 'diary-list-entries-hook 'bbdb-anniv-diary-entries)

Just to make sure I'm following -- no one's yet gotten BBDB
anniversaries showing up in the calendar proper yet, have they? I don't
use the diary, but I'd sure like to see colored blobs in the calendar
(like holidays are currently displayed) for anniversaries defined in
BBDB.

Eric

* Re: Anniversaries from BBDB available to calendar and diary?
@ 2013-11-28  6:12       ` Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2013-11-28  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Joseph Mingrone <jrm@ftfl.ca> writes:
>
>> Hi Myles,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I wonder, did you look at the section of 10.3.1 titled "Anniversaries
>>> from BBDB"?
>>
>> This is what prompted me to store many of the anniversaries in BBDB as
>> opposed to the diary.  Following the information in section 10.3.1 of
>> the manual allows one to see these anniversaries in the Org agenda, but
>> they are now not shown in the calendar/diary.  So far, I've been able to
>> partially resolve the issue by upgrading to BBDB 3, which includes
>> bbdb-anniv.el.
>>
>> ;; To display BBDB anniversaries in the Emacs diary, use
>> ;; (add-hook 'diary-list-entries-hook 'bbdb-anniv-diary-entries)
>
> Just to make sure I'm following -- no one's yet gotten BBDB
> anniversaries showing up in the calendar proper yet, have they? I don't
> use the diary, but I'd sure like to see colored blobs in the calendar
> (like holidays are currently displayed) for anniversaries defined in
> BBDB.

No, but from the calendar, I can use 'd' (diary-view-entries) to show
the fancy diary with the BBDB anniversaries.  So, the only piece
missing, from my perspective, is a way to mark the calendar for the days
with a BBDB anniversary.  A function for one of the calendar display
hooks might do the trick.

Joseph